Lost in calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Lost in calibration

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

George
    Participant

Hi,

I have an issue for which I am unable to find a solution, and I hope that I can get some suggestions.

As a nature photographer I recently purchased a Dell Precision 5520, with 4k display for travel, which is supposed to cover pretty much 100% of Adobe RGB. The Dell comes with a number of color profiles installed, and the default profile is a Dell Adobe RGB 6500 K profile. In doing an interactive calibration, I noticed that the white balance was way off, so I used the Intel graphics options to adjust RGB to a perfect white balance. After calibration I let DispCal set the new profile as a default, and the new profile does show up in the windows 10 color management, but it is not set as a default. This is only done after unchecking the option “use my settings for this device”. I have 2 issues. First, after every reboot this option is rechecked, and the Dell profile is set as a default.

And secondly, an issue which is completely throwing me off after a driver update for the Intel HD Graphics 630, is that the colors displayed are way off, often smeared out, as if a large blob of ink fell on the image. I redid a complete new calibration (interactive) but I am unable to produce acceptable colors. I have attached a few examples.

I’m trying to understand what is happening. What I assume is the following. I start from an existing profile, which I correct to have the correct white balance. Then I do a calibration, which is basically a correction to the existing profile, and not a correction to the color rendering of the display. Could that please be the reason?

What can I please do to resolve these issues? I highly appreciate all help that I can get.

Thank you very much,

George

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Bob Tiller
    Participant

If your colorimeter is older, it may not be able to cope with 4K. I just upgraded to 4K and tried balancing them with my old Spyder2 and got similar results. I bought a Spyder5 and now it can handle it.

However, I’m having other issues that aren’t part of this thread so I won’t hijack yours.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I noticed that the white balance was way off, so I used the Intel graphics options to adjust RGB to a perfect white balance.

Any external software adjustment method cannot be used with calibration. Laptops usually don’t have any (hardware) controls, so you have to skip the interactive adjustment step.

After calibration I let DispCal set the new profile as a default, and the new profile does show up in the windows 10 color management, but it is not set as a default. This is only done after unchecking the option “use my settings for this device”.

When you install a profile, it will be automatically set as default. Some other software probably interfered. Check that you’re not using any other calibration loaders or profile managers.

And secondly, an issue which is completely throwing me off after a driver update for the Intel HD Graphics 630, is that the colors displayed are way off, often smeared out, as if a large blob of ink fell on the image.

So, this only happened after the graphics driver update?

I’m trying to understand what is happening. What I assume is the following. I start from an existing profile, which I correct to have the correct white balance. Then I do a calibration, which is basically a correction to the existing profile, and not a correction to the color rendering of the display.

A new calibration is always “from scratch” unless you tick the “update calibration” checkbox.

George
    Participant

Thank you both for your response.

For calibration I’m using the  xrite Color Munki Display.

I have no other calibration software installed, but what might interfere is the windows 10 profile loader. In an explanation of the win 10 color management in the following link, it was said to enable the loader, for in case another profile loader was missing. Will try to disable this option, and see what it changes.

https://fotovideotec.de/farbverwaltung/index.html#monitortesten

The messed up color rendition indeed happened after the driver update, and is mainly for red colors. Is as if all red tome variations are being neglected, which almost sounds like a conversion to a very limited color space. I have this with the Dell Adobe RGB profile, and even worse with my own calibration result.

It really doesn’t make any sense. If the LUT is written to the Intel GPU, then the resulting colors should be accordingly.

There is one thing of which I am not sure.  I have the Intel 630, and I have a NVIDIA M1200. The win 10 color management only shows the Intel. Does this mean that when I set a color profile as system default, that the LUT is only written to the Intel, or is it automatically also written to the NVIDIA? If not, colors will change as soon as windows lets the NVIDIA handle the graphic.

Thanks again, and I look forward to your response.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Generally I would advise to use the DisplayCAL profile loader instead of the Windows built-in calibration loader. You can also use it to manage profile associations.

George
    Participant

Thank you Florian, and that is what I have always done, until I read the above article.

I did proceed a bit in identifying my problem. Cause of the wrong color rendition was the NVIDIA card. I found that the Dell tech support had changed the GPU selection to NVIDIA preferred in a remote access session. Setting it back to automatic selection resolved the issue.

But, am still stuck with an issue which I cannot resolve. When I ask DispCal to set the calibration profile as system default, this is done. However, after every reboot, the system enables “use my settings for this device” in color management, and the Dell profile is set as system default. Simply unchecking the “use my settings” is enough to return again to the correct profile, but is a pain having to do this after every reboot.

Another weird thing is the following.  Yesterday I had a major windows 10 update (v1803), and after it was done all of the DispCal profiles were removed from the system. Only the Dell ones remained. So I was extremely happy with the DispCal “install profile” button.

I then want to come back to the NVIDIA issue, as I expect another issue to be caused by an NVIDIA graphics card. It concerns another PC with external display. The correct calibration profile is set as a system default (external display), and in LR and PS, the colors are correct. However, as soon as I open a plugin (On1, Aurora, Topaz Denoise, Nik Collection), the colors change and are oversaturated. What I think is happening is the following.  The NVIDIA card is disabled in LR and PS, but for plugins which do not offer the option not to use the external GPU, it is the system that decides, and if then the NVIDIA is used, instead of the Intel, then the colors change. But, this assumes that the system profile is not applied to the NVIDIA, and only to the Intel. This issue started about 6 months ago, and I’m unable to resolve it. Maybe someone else has seen similar issues and knows of a solution.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When I ask DispCal to set the calibration profile as system default, this is done. However, after every reboot, the system enables “use my settings for this device” in color management, and the Dell profile is set as system default.

There seems to be another software on your system that interferes. Check your autostart entries (e.g. using SysInternal’s AutoRuns utility).

Generally I would not advise installing profiles as system default on a single user system: There is no benefit, and it just makes changes harder because you need admin rights.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS