Live measurement

Home Forums Help and Support Live measurement

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tudor Paslaru
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you very much for this software!

I am trying to calibrate my Sony OLED A250 monitor with i1 probe. I calibrated the white point successfully (RGB gains) but I also need to calibrate the bias. As internet says, I need to provide 20% gray signal from davinci or something else and than adjust the bias. The problem is that I cant have something like live measurement and separate gray signal. I assume Im not doing everything correctly, as I am pretty new to calibration.

Please help!

Thanks a lot!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

typically there is only one correct setting for RGB bias (offset), which is the one where blacks don’t clip and are not raised. A standard pluge pattern should be enough to set this (if for some reason the factory default is not already correct).

Everything else is corrected by the 1D calibration or 3D LUT, so no tweaking of display controls needed (in fact, it usually helps display linearity if the display isn’t adjusted via any “CMS” type controls like 6-axis, RGB bias/offset etc).

Tudor Paslaru
    Participant

Thanks a lot Florian!

Vincent
    Participant

Is it possible that future versions of DisplayCAL include a fast CMYRGBW measurement for “pre-conditioning”? Perpahps with a 10 step gray validation against white?

I know that DisplayCAL is meant for a color managed enviroment, but it seems that there are a lot of users that enjoy their displays with “multimedia entertainment”: games and such, or just AdobePremiere or similar non color managed (& inexpensive) video editors. Also it seems that there are a high number of games that clean GPU LUT calibration when going fullscreen.

So it may be interesting to provide users with some kind of “fast” testing/preconditioning functionality in a CIE xy plot of CMY+RGB+W and a small gery ramp (color + gamma).
    It could be run as a batch CMY+RGB+W+grey or individually as users tweak their display OSD controls, if available. Maybe in a separate tab “pre-conditioning” explaining in a simple way what is this meant for (non color managed workflows… multimedia entertainment.. etc) and that this may be skipped or disabled as a “tab” by default.

I know that this kind of functionality may be covered by HCFR, but DisplayCAL is multiplatform and HCFR is not (AFAIK).
    I know that DisplayCAL validation against a simulation profile covers much of this, but it is not “fast” like interactive adjustment popup.

PS. It is just a suggestion after reading some users needs here.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I know that this kind of functionality may be covered by HCFR, but DisplayCAL is multiplatform and HCFR is not (AFAIK).<br>
    I know that DisplayCAL validation against a simulation profile covers much of this, but it is not “fast” like interactive adjustment popup.
    PS. It is just a suggestion after reading some users needs here.

+1 to this suggestion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS