Linux Mint 20: only source code not crashing system

Home Forums Help and Support Linux Mint 20: only source code not crashing system

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Craig Janeway
    Participant

I tried the flatpack from apt install, and that would not allow selection of a previously created ICC profile (it just would not see the file in file browser, not matter where or if user or root).  So, I had to create a new ICC profile and install for user.  But that caused system crashes, and an error on Colord not accepting to install.

Next was to try the deb download.  Installed okay with Deby for both the Debian and Ubuntu debs, and each allowed selection of previous ICC profile, but system crashes right after.

Source code build with virtual environment of Anaconda python=2.7 and locating and installing for conda python modules, and apt development pkgs as provided in the instructions (names were different so a lot of searching in apt-cache, anaconda.com, searching for the proper names of these was a bit frustrating).  I did manage to figure all of the out and install them all.  I could only build with = sudo python setup.py install.  The dist_standalone refused to give me a standalone build when adding dist_standalone to the end of the command line.   I had to run displaycal from command line, select my ICC profile, and it installed to Argyll Colord, where the other options did not.  No crashes afterward.

I would like a script to make a standalone that works.  Thanks.  That way I can simply put the ‘app’ in my archive and put it out when I need to put it in to service for a new system build.  That’s and can you look at why none of the other build options work?  Can we get a newer version of DisplayCAL in python 3.8, or is there just too many issues of broken or no longer available modules in python to support this program anymore?

Craig Janeway
    Participant

I just learned of an error of things not working now.  There was an error all this time from compile:

DisplayCAL/RealDisplaySizeMM.c: In function ‘get_displays’:
    DisplayCAL/RealDisplaySizeMM.c:825:7: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘error’; did you mean ‘perror’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    825 | error(“Unable to intern atom ‘%s'”,desc1);
    | ^~~~~
    | perror

I realized the startup load profile was not launching… so I purged, unistalled, and compiled again to see the error given above.  So, what is the solution to the error?

Craig Janeway
    Participant

Okay, here’s where I am with this currently…

I had to install ArgyllCMS to avoid the error when compiling in virtual environment for Python 2.7 using Anaconda.  No compiling errors.

I also had to install Gnome Color Manager for my Linux Mint 20 Mate to then get the proccess to install the profile started, but it failed to install.  The error message was ‘failed to load the profile in time’ from the Gnome Color Manager program.  I’ve also tried adding this same profile directly from GCM, and received the same error message.  How to solve this?

Craig Janeway
    Participant

This is from my terminal window, and at the end there is an error that repeats over and over.  What could cause this error?

(py-2.7_env) craig@craig-MS-7501:~$ displaycal
    XDG: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: xdg-user-dirs
    displaycal 3.8.9.3 2019-12-14T12:16:22.165507Z
    debian bullseye/sid x86_64
    Python 2.7.16 |Anaconda, Inc.| (default, Sep 24 2019, 21:51:30)
    [GCC 7.3.0]
    Faulthandler 3.1
    wxPython 4.0.4 gtk2 (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5
    Encoding: UTF-8
    File system encoding: UTF-8
    Lockfile /home/craig/.config/DisplayCAL/DisplayCAL-profile-info.lock
    Lockfile /home/craig/.config/DisplayCAL/DisplayCAL.lock
    Starting up…
    SDL2: libSDL2-2.0.so.0
    Audio module: wx 4.0.4
    Enumerating display devices and communication ports…
    /home/craig/.local/share/DisplayCAL/dl/Argyll_V2.1.2/bin
    ArgyllCMS 2.1.2
    Argyll has virtual display support
    …ok.
    Checking video card gamma table access for display 1…
    Dispwin: Warning – new_dispwin: Expected VideoLUT depth 8 doesn’t match actual 10
    VideoLUT has 1024 entries, interpolating to 256
    Dispwin: Warning – new_dispwin: Expected VideoLUT depth 8 doesn’t match actual 10
    Verify: ‘test.cal’ IS loaded (discrepancy 0.0%)
    …ok.
    Initializing GUI…

…ok.
    Ready.
    Setting up scripting host at 127.0.0.1:15411

** (displaycal:1924): WARNING **: 07:37:08.253: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Orange/gtk-2.0/images/button/button.svg: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-svg.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librsvg-2.so.2: undefined symbol: cairo_tag_end

(displaycal:1924): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 07:37:08.253: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion ‘GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)’ failed

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Craig Janeway.

Craig Janeway
    Participant

I ended up running displaycal from terminal direct source code without compiling it in my conda python 2.7 env.  I created a new profile and I was able to select preview and see the diff.  Then I installed it, but it said there could be problems.  However, the profile is working because my screen looks the same as the preview.  I might put this up on Github for people simply run from source, once they download it, in a virtual python env package.  Maybe the displaycal developers can add this to the list of options to download?

Craig Janeway
    Participant

I can’t load the profile on startup…

(py-2.7_env) craig@craig-MS-7501:~$ sudo python /home/craig/build/DisplayCAL-3.8.9.3/DisplayCAL-apply-profiles.pyw
    XDG: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: xdg-user-dirs
    ================================================================================
    Loading calibration curves of current display device profile…
    Enumerating display devices and communication ports…
    /home/craig/.local/share/DisplayCAL/dl/Argyll_V2.1.2/bin
    ArgyllCMS 2.1.2
    Argyll has virtual display support
    …ok.
    /home/craig/build/DisplayCAL-3.8.9.3/DisplayCAL/colord.py:163: Warning: gi.repository.GLib.Error: g-io-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ColorManager.NotFound: property match ‘OutputEdidMd5’=’175bedb06b78e798638f8954d8114e3a’ does not exist (36)
    /home/craig/build/DisplayCAL-3.8.9.3/DisplayCAL/ICCProfile.py:1884: Warning: gi.repository.GLib.Error: g-io-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ColorManager.NotFound: device id ‘xrandr-Ancor Communications Inc-VW246-A1LMQS010272’ does not exist (36)
    ——————————————————————————–
    Working directory:
    /
    tmp/

Command line:
    /home/craig/.local/share/DisplayCAL/dl/Argyll_V2.1.2/bin/dispwin
    -v
    -d1
    ‘VW246 #1 2021-06-20 13-15 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX.icc-NAM5Hj’

About to open dispwin object on the display
    About to set display to given calibration
    Calibration set
    About to destroy dispwin object
    dispwin exitcode: 0
    (py-2.7_env) craig@craig-MS-7501:~$

Craig Janeway
    Participant

Without sudo, I get the XDG: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: xdg-user-dirs and exits back to command line.

Craig Janeway
    Participant

Can someone please make this into a snap app and also a flatpack for Ubuntu/Mint etc users?

Craig Janeway
    Participant

I upgraded Mint from 20 Mate to 20.1 Fxce (repartitioned and formatted the drive in gparted and installed fresh) that allowed me to add the profile made by DisplayCAL.  Not sure why Mate refused to accept it through Gnome Color Manager, so it was not a DisplayCAL’s issue on this part, but a system issue as to why it would not accept any new profiles.  Fxce went white screen, and I had to reboot it twice, but an update notice for a new kernel and that seems to have fixed that problem.  I’ve checed and the profile is showing assigned to my Ancor detected monitor (Asus).  I’ll try to install DisplayCAL in Fxce and see what happens, so I can update my profiles later.  If I can’t install, then I can always take the path before of Anaconda, virtual python 2.7 and run from source to make upate my profile later.  At least I can install it now on Fxce.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Craig Janeway. Reason: add clarity
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Craig Janeway. Reason: add clarity
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS