Lightroom gives weird display

Home Forums Help and Support Lightroom gives weird display

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Peter Brandt
    Participant

Hi, having installed Displaycal, I am finding really weird issues in LightRoom. I have done a search in the forum, but can’t seem to find an explanation for this, other than a hint that Lightroom does not handle LUT (I have no idea whether my calibration is LUT or linear, but anyway, that comment seems quite a few years old).

I am using a Windows 10 laptop and the screen is LED (as far as I can make out, though I have yet to work out if it is wide gamut, rgb or white light).

Banding of darker tones

1. my darker tones band, or jumble, together into a featureless black (see bottom left in example 1, attached)
    2. zooming in gives more nuance, but still very dark ( see example 2, attached)
    3. activating “use graphics processor” in preferences (which I normally avoid due to lagging issues in Lightroom) lightens it up somewhat but adds a mauve colour to the darker areas  (see example 3, attached. Possibly because of the colour profile used by the brwoser, I see the mauve is way more subtle here, but still present)

Color cast

1. my mono images are very yellow in LRightroom and Photoshop – to the extent that if I use an eye-dropper tool to get their colours you can see that there really is yellow in the mix, i.e. it is not simply how it appears on my screen

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Peter Brandt.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Peter Brandt.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Peter Brandt
    Participant

P.S. I went into my tray and “reset video card gamma table” and then reloaded “calibration from current display device profile(s)” and it no longer shows the black banding… then went in a few miutes later and it was back.

So now I don’t know what to think!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Peter Brandt.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Peter Brandt.

Vincent
    Participant

Black:
    Check that there is no other LUT loader running in your system: programs loading at startup, o Windows calibration (loader from Windows OS).
    Does your laptop display goes to standby before showing bands? Latest Windows versions have some weird behavior with GPU LUT if you let screen go to standby or if you enable Night mode.

Color cast:
    First of all check if you have neutral greys in the darker zone. For example some of these smooth 8bit B&W gradients found in the internet (like lagom’s gradient), save to disk one of those gradients, use MS paint to open & inspect them (=no color management).
    If calibrated grey is good, “neutral color” but maybe with some small banding artifacts due to your graphics card then you can solve that color cast issue using a “single curve + matrix” profile. Less accurate but less likely to behave like this.
    If calibrated grey is not good (seen in a gradient in MS paint) it could be caused by your measurement device, measure device misconfiguration (like wrong colorimeter correction) or by strong banding artifacts in GPU LUT. Very difficult to solve with your current HW unless it’s just a problem of wrong correction for colorimeter.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS