Lifting laptop black level?

Home Forums Help and Support Lifting laptop black level?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rodrigo Silvestri
    Participant

Hi. I recently got a Dell XPS 9370 notebook and it has a beautiful display with HDR contrast. I am a film/ad colorist and even though I use other monitors to grade my footage, I like to have a calibrated display at home just to check stuff. At work, we have our monitors set at Rec709/BT1886 color space, but generally when grading we avoid setting the monitor’s blacks too black, partly because the footage will be watched mostly on not so contrasy displays and also because it’s better to have the blacks visible.

The thing is that my XPS’s monitor has way too deep blacks. They’re there, visible and in range, but too dark for me. I’d like to know if there is any way to lift the blacks a little bit while performing the calibration/profiling. I’ve been tweaking the Black Output Offset settings without having great results, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Rodrigo Silvestri
    Participant

Sorry, I just found the Black Level setting, going to fiddle with that! I was used to setting this from the monitor’s settings so never had to use it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS