LG UHD TV as Monitor – Red Color Cast

Home Forums Help and Support LG UHD TV as Monitor – Red Color Cast

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ralphie
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

Been experimenting with DisplayCal for two weeks and I’m really impressed.  Won’t be using X-rite software for sure.  However, I have a red /magenta color cast that I cant seem to get rid of and I’d appreciate some help.

I’m using an LG 43U6300 UHD 4K as my IPS monitor & ColorMunki Photo spectrometer.  Running Win10  Pro (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti – HDMI), Photoshop CC and my Epson 3880 – color managed workflow.

Tried several “Profile Types” but “Single Gamma + Matrix” is the only one that plays well with Win10, and the rest of my applications (color managed or not).

I’ve attached  my settings.  Would appreciate some help with optimal DisplayCal settings:

(a) Recommended Profile Type?

(b) display update delay and settle time multiplier – increase to 1 sec and 1.5, respectively?

(c) Change observer to CIE 1964

Maybe I’ve missed something…

Thanks in advance,

-RJ`

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Ralphie.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

you’re calibrating to a 5000K daylight target, which is considerably warmer than a uncalibrated 6500K-15000K (roughly) whitepoint that you may be used to.

(a) Recommended Profile Type?

XYZ LUT + matrix (the default)

(b) display update delay and settle time multiplier – increase to 1 sec and 1.5, respectively?

Normally, you do not need to change this.

(c) Change observer to CIE 1964

I would recommend leaving this at CIE 1931.

Ralphie
    Participant

Hi Florian!

Thanks so much for replying.  Yes, I am purposely calibrating on D50 and 90 lx since I’m following ISO 12646:2008-15 (display settings for soft proofing).  This is what I’ve been using for many years, so I’m definitely used to it.

I’ve used these same settings with the ColorMunki Photo and X-rite’s software without ever seeing any color cast.

DisplayCal is so much better bc my blacks aren’t clipped at all, and I’ve been able to get this display down to a black level of 0.4.  However, I have this slight pink /magenta cast on my grays. Drives me nuts that I can’t figure out what’s wrong!

So I’m wondering if there are specific settings in the X-rite software for spectrophotometers  that I can migrate to DisplayCal.

That’s why i was asking if it may be changing the delays and the multiplier, or changing the observer to CIE 1964.

Any ideas or guidance would really be appreciated!

Thanks,

R

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Typically I would expect the whitepoint to match between different softwares given the same whitepoint target and observer (usually CIE 1931) is used. You can try decreasing calibration speed a notch, thus lowering the delta E threshold if the whitepoint is fine but the grayscale shows too much colorization.

So I’m wondering if there are specific settings in the X-rite software for spectrophotometers that I can migrate to DisplayCal.

Not that I know of.

Ralphie
    Participant

Thanks Florian…  Let’s see what happens.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS