Less sRGB coverage but better measurement results?

Home Forums Help and Support Less sRGB coverage but better measurement results?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

pyron
    Participant

Hello, some confusion about results. I did a calibration yesterday and sRGB coverage was 95.17%, today I did a new calibration from scratch adjusting a few things like temperature as 6504, a probe correction file and some suggestions here concerning black point correction, and this time the coverage was of 88.65%! Yet the results of the measurement pass were much better, so what should I do?

My monitor is a Dell U2715H so I used a U2515H correction file for the Spyder3 which should be close enough (only differs in panel size). I attach both logs and measurement results.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

one problem with the Spyder3 line is the poor inter-instrument agreement between different Spyder3 devices, making colorimeter corrections less useful than they could be. The real question is, which of the two calibrations and profiles you’ve run is more accurate? And this question cannot be answered without another, higher accuracy instrument (e.g. spectrometer) to check the results. 95% sRGB coverage sounds about right for the display in question though.

In the long term, it may make sense to consider upgrading to a better instrument.

pyron
    Participant

Yes, I will probably end up buying a i1 Display Pro at some point. The point is how can I get better measurement results but poorer sRGB coverage? Aren’t measurement based on sRGB target? The measurements of the 95% coverage were very poor if you have a look at them.
    In any case if removing the correction file solves out the disparity then I will run a third calibration pass and hope for better sRGB results.

About 10 years ago I bought the Spyder2, around 2011 I wanted to buy a newer one but Spyder3 was already out for some time so I asked Datacolor if there was something new around the corner, they told me they couldn’t tell and like 2 months later Spyder4 appeared… so I was a bit frustrated buying so many colorimeters.

Do you think doing like 2 recalibrations on top will get me better colors or is the Spyder3 not good enough for consistency recals?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by pyron.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There isn’t really much difference between the two reports. As expected, the one wihich is using the correction reads white closer to the daylight locus, but that’s about it as far as differences are concerned.

Aren’t measurement based on sRGB target?

No. Profiling is about characterizing the display in its current state, there are no underlying assumptions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS