Lenovo P32u-10 , high saturation after calibration

Home Forums General Discussion Lenovo P32u-10 , high saturation after calibration

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Miker
    Participant

Hi !

I just purchase a Lenovo P32u-10 , 10 bit IPS panel.
    Calibration was done with Xrite ColorMunki Design and software DisplayCAL.
    I set in DisplayCAL: color 6500K, white level 120 cd/m2, gamma 2.2 then I do calibration.
    Brightness was low  with 120 cd/m2 after that I set 220 cd/m2.
    After second calibration with Brightness=61, contrast=81,  R95, G93, B100, gamut coverage in sRGB was 99.9%, AdobeRGB was 99.4% and DCI-P3 was 94.4%, but colors are high saturated.
    I try to calibrate with normal saturation set in NVIDIA, Desktop Color Setting – Digital vibrance – from 50% (default) to 35%, but gamut coverage was bellow 90%.
    Monitor has different scenarios like: Panel Native, Image Creation, Digital Cinema, Professional Image, Video Creation, Low Blue Light, UHD Video.
    If I set to Video Creation , brightness turn to 70 and contrast to 85 and color to BT709. Image, colors looks good but I don’t know why saturation turn high  when I try to do a manual calibration. Nvidia Driver is latest and reinstalled.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Miker.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

Nvidia color controls limit the display precision so consider using them not recommended. It’s normal with non-color managed applications and the Windows desktop to have oversaturated colors because you have a wide gamut display. You have two options, use color managed apps with panel native mode, or set the display to sRGB emulation.

Vincent
    Participant

In addition to MW’s good advices, a munki design spectro is unlikely to measure well those displays with xrite software. Make sure that DisplayCAL is using high res mode. Also low light measurements will be poor. Consider using a Xrite colorimeter corrected by munki design using DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS high res mode.

Regarding saturation some displays have a saturation menu with a RGBCMY 6-axis controls to try to limit gamut to some idealized & smaller than native color space like sRGB/rec709. Check display manual.
    That way you can tune gamut (saturation 6 axis menu), white (3 RGB gains) and maybe some kind of gamma preset closer to your calibration target (g2.2 or 2.4).

Also if while uncalibrated you spot color issues in black to white non color managed gradients, you should use slower calibration settings which is another reason to use a colorimeter to take actual measurements, not an “user grade” spectro.
    That device is and was never meant to calibrate displays, just a low cost spectro to measure printer patches with no OBA information. But it can help to correct xrite i1d3 colorimeters (as long as you use high res mode) which should be used to actual measurements.

PS. If you do not mind, please upload 3.3nm high res CCSS correction (colorimeter spectral correction, not matrix/CCMX correction) to displaycal database. That will help other owners of that model.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Miker
    Participant

I just install i1Studio v1.5.1 and calibrate monitor to Video – BT709 with auto settings: 6500K, gamma 2.2, , 100 cd/m2.
    After calibration with i1Studio I notice low banding with a black and white gradient image and same  banding with DisplayCAL.
    It’s strange why image looks  banding with i1Studio and DisplayCAL. With  factory calibration from Lenovo do not see any banding.
    I don’t know what to do. I think I will give up calibration and use the monitor profiles  because it comes calibrated from the factory .

Vincent
    Participant

I just install i1Studio v1.5.1 and calibrate monitor to Video – BT709 with auto settings: 6500K, gamma 2.2, , 100 cd/m2.
    After calibration with i1Studio I notice low banding with a black and white gradient image and same  banding with DisplayCAL.
    It’s strange why image looks  banding with i1Studio and DisplayCAL. With  factory calibration from Lenovo do not see any banding.
    I don’t know what to do. I think I will give up calibration and use the monitor profiles  because it comes calibrated from the factory .

1- i1Studio cannot measure properly a lot of new displays. 10nm readings. User ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL high res mode (3nm)
    Even at 3.3nm these low cost spectros are not very suited for calibrating displays, they are colorimeter helpers.

2-i1Studio (or DisplayCAL) corrects grey in GPU. Some GPU are limited by drivers or HW and truncates grey correction loaded into GPU to 8bit -> banding.
    Use DisplayCAL profile loader and an AMD GPU if you want to get rid of it… o at least use DisplayCAL profile loader to ensure that full correction is loaded up to GPU capabilties.

3-calibration induced banding needs to be visually tested without color management.

Miker
    Participant

I set up RTX 2070 to NVIDIA output color format: RGB, output dynamic range:FULL, output color depth:10bit = same banding with 2 colors profiles calibration (i1Studio and DisplayCAL).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Miker.

Vincent
    Participant

Nvidia has no dithering by default, so banding is expected. You need an AMD card or try to enable dither by registry hack. There was a thread about it here.

Miker
    Participant

Hi Vincent!

I will purchase an AMD videocard.
    I do today some tests with i1Studio, loaded default video profile from Lenovo (BT709 factory calibration) then I do calibration. Color temp was 6338K and RGB  was aligned before no touch this time.  After that I load profile calibrated with DisplayCAL results: color temp 6490K and RGB was aligned before no touch this time. . Last time I load profile calibrated with i1Studio to REC709, results: color temp 6487K RGB was aligned before no touch this time.
    No more big  differents in profiles.

I just find a software who show color gamut coverage in percent based on reported primaries, this is  DisplayHDR Test>
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/displayhdr-test/9nn1gpn70nf3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Uploaded a capture from spftware with gamut coverage  from Lenovo P32u-10. I think is not dependent on a  color profile.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Try dither hack before buying…

Also CCT/CDT is no a valid way to address whitepiont. It means nothing. A white in 6300K isotherm segment can be much whiter than another one 6500K. Read wikipedia. “Correlated” word is the key.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Miker
    Participant

I just enable dithering into registry. Now gradient images looks clean without any dirty colors.

Thank you Vincent!

Miker
    Participant

Sometimes dithering does not apply on start up and I need to sign out and log in.
    I upload color calibration paper report from Lenovo.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Miker.
    Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

-Blame nvidia and Microsoft

-Report says nothing. CCT is not a way to locate a grey. Also gamma report is useless because you cannot see what is going on, you’ll need that Y axis would be gaam value, not actual luminance.
    If you whish to validate factory calibration grey, just run a measurement report choosing as simulation profile the theoretical colorspace factory calibration was supposed to be factory calibration target. Then click use simulation profile as display profile = clean GPU calibration, validate HW “as is”.
    DisplayCAL will report grey error in a*b* axis, total range (how “spread” greys are in “color”) and gamma report as I said before.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS