Just a Computer User

Home Forums General Discussion Just a Computer User

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

I’m not a photographer, videographer, or professional of any kind that needs a calibrated monitor.  I just do audio and general productivity work.  But, I’m curious about something, and figured that you’d be the people to ask.

I have a Dell S3222DGM 32″ VA 1440p monitor.  Reviews say that the Standard mode comes calibrated from the factory.  But to my eye, a white screen in that mode has a sickly yellowish green tint to it.  I’ve seen other calibrated monitors that looked the same to me.  What’s going on here?  Am I alone?

Also, you’d think that the Standard mode would be the same as setting the red, green, and blue gains the same.  It isn’t.  When I select the Custom Color mode which has all three gains the same, I get what looks like a true white screen, although I’d say the white point is closer to 7500° than 6500°.  But, it just looks like the color of bright white paper to me.  When in that “calibrated” Standard mode, the right third of the screen seems to be just the tiniest bit greener than the rest of the screen – although that could be my OCD “down the rabbit hole” brain messing with me.  But when I use that custom color mode with all three gains the same, that issue goes away.

I’m not looking to start a flaming war.  I’d just to like to hear some observations from those of you who are color calibration experts.

Vincent
    Participant

You’ll have to measure with an accurate device…

Wire
    Participant

If you have an iPhone, disable true-tone / night-shift  — whatever they call the modes that shift color based on time of day.

That white is D65.

Hold it up to your Dell and make your Dell’s white look like it.

You’ll be dead-on with white. getting other factors right requires doing what VIncent just said.

Michael
    Participant

If you have an iPhone, disable true-tone / night-shift  — whatever they call the modes that shift color based on time of day.

That white is D65.

Hold it up to your Dell and make your Dell’s white look like it.

You’ll be dead-on with white. getting other factors right requires doing what VIncent just said.

Thanks.  I don’t have access to an iPhone, but leaving all three gains the same seems to match bright white paper fairly well, and for what I do, that will work.  I  am curious if others see a calibrated screen as having a yellowish-green tint, as I do.

MW
    Participant

I don’t have access to an iPhone, but leaving all three gains the same seems to match bright white paper fairly well, and for what I do, that will work.

Basically you matched you monitor to roughly the light sources in your room. Offset by your white paper sheet’s reflectance at different wavelengths. It varies substantially from even on office printer paper, if that’s what you used.

I  am curious if others see a calibrated screen as having a yellowish-green tint, as I do.

Factory calibration is different from user calibration with a instrument:
    1. Colors might have changed since it left the factory,

2. Won’t be in effect out side of selecting specific settings in the OSD.

2. 6500k is a vague spec compared to D65 because it implies the green-magenta axis isn’t considered.

That’s some big issues to sort out before even considering metameric error, which you allude to.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by MW.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS