issues with procedures, selection and results; Dell Inspiron 1545, Ubuntu 14.04, Spyder5Pro

Home Forums Help and Support issues with procedures, selection and results; Dell Inspiron 1545, Ubuntu 14.04, Spyder5Pro

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

alfsorenson SourceForge

I’m having some trouble trying to correctly create color profiles and having them applied to my laptop. I followed the quick start guide for Linux, since I am using Ubuntu. Initially, I wasn’t able to proceed due to the program asking for a color correction to be applied. There wasn’t anything within the Spyder that was acknowleged, so I opted to download from the web. Once that was done, I made some random selections and got started. The resulting profile was then applied with only an sRGB of like 83% with AdobeRGB in the 50’s. This is a dual boot laptop and using the native Skyder software when I boot into Win7, these percentages are higher, so I am suspecting that I did not select the right settings before starting the profile. Also, upon reboot into Ubuntu, the program created profile was not applied. Aside from that, can anyone help by suggesting the proper set up settings with the subject mentioned set up? Thank you. Jon

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Initially, I wasn’t able to proceed due to the program asking for a color correction to be applied. There wasn’t anything within the Spyder that was acknowleged, so I opted to download from the web.

The Spyder5 has generic corrections for common display types (LCD generic, CCFL, Wide Gamut, White LED, RGB LED and CCFL type 2. In your case, White LED is likely the correct one). You can select a matching display type under the measurement mode dropdown on the display & instrument tab.

Also, upon reboot into Ubuntu, the program created profile was not applied.

You can verify ICC profile associations under system settings, color. Note that only color managed applications (e.g. Gimp) will make use of ICC profiles. You can use dispcalGUI’s curve viewer to verify if the calibration was loaded (mark the “Show calibration curves from video card” checkbox).

alfsorenson SourceForge

Thanks, Florian, but wouldn’t “generic LCD” have been a better selection than “white LED”? Just curious.

Also, in Unity’s color managment, I was able to import the .icc profile from Win 7 and then change to this profile. I’m wondering if I can recalibrate with dispalGUI with this current profile in place?

Unfortunately, this particular Dell laptop has no way to externally adjust settings, other than up and down arrows for brightness, so I have to basically go with whatever settings are calculated with whatever program I use. The inital profile created by dispalGUI seemed to show a color temp over 7000, while the imported Win profile is at 6500.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks, Florian, but wouldn’t “generic LCD” have been a better selection than “white LED”? Just curious.

There are very few new LCD displays (Laptop or otherwise) with something other than a white LED backlight (except a few high end ones with RGB LED), so very unlikely.

I’m wondering if I can recalibrate with dispalGUI with this current profile in place?

No, that wouldn’t make sense. It’s also quite likely that a profile created with dispcalGUI’s default settings will be significantly more accurate, because dispcalGUI measures more patches and creates a LUT profile, while as far as I know the Spyder software is limited to simple curves + matrix, and quantizes its calibration to 8 bits (which makes calibration-induced banding more likely).

Unfortunately, this particular Dell laptop has no way to externally adjust settings, other than up and down arrows for brightness, so I have to basically go with whatever settings are calculated with whatever program I use.

That’s normal for Laptops. For that reason, there is a “Laptop” preset in dispcalGUI which skips the interactive adjustment step (you should still set brighness to a comfortable level though, but you can do so by eye).

The inital profile created by dispalGUI seemed to show a color temp over 7000, while the imported Win profile is at 6500.

The default settings in dispcalGUI don’t impose a whitepoint target. Generally you shouldn’t worry too much about the whitepoint unless you have to match several displays or prints under standard lighting.

alfsorenson SourceForge

Well, when I selected “white LED”, the program froze upon implementation and the only way around it was to use the generic LCD setting. I’m still a bit confused about what the correction should be. I didn’t see any in the list that looked like it matched my Dell. I know in the documentation it says that colorimeters like the Spyder4/5 have their own built in correction, so I just let it at auto(none). Program is running now at the “medium” setting. I did pick “laptop” at gamma 2.2 (I think) so will see what comes up. I also checked the box about blackpoint since I’m using an on screen calorimeter. One thing I did notice, but didn’t check, was that there was a black screen or something checkbox at the bottom of the screen where the Spyder is placed on the screen, not sure if I should have checked this or not. Any suggestions/ corrections to what I’m doing welcome, Florian. One additional question I have is whether the program takes the Spyders light in the room monitor (on the back of the device) into account while doing the calibration? Anyway, thanks for the help so far. Alf

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, when I selected “white LED”, the program froze upon implementation […]

That tells me nothing unfortunately. What are the exact steps you followed? What did you see on screen? Which version of Argyll CMS are you using?

I also checked the box about blackpoint since I’m using an on screen calorimeter.

Not sure which setting you’re referring to.

One thing I did notice, but didn’t check, was that there was a black screen or something checkbox at the bottom of the screen where the Spyder is placed on the screen, not sure if I should have checked this or not.

On an LCD display this is not needed.

One additional question I have is whether the program takes the Spyders light in the room monitor (on the back of the device) into account while doing the calibration?

No.

alfsorenson SourceForge

Hi Florian,

Sorry I wasn’t very clear before. I was trying to recall from memory what I did since the program was already in the midst of the “LCD (generic)” calibration that worked. Oddly enough, this time, I am getting it to respond with the white LED selection, not sure why. Here are the steps I took:

The version of Argyll is 1.8.3. I opened the program, then made sure my display was selected (B156RW01 V1 @ 0,0, 1600×900), refresh instrument, then plug in and detect Spyder5. Mode set as recommended “LCD (White LED) with black level drift compensation checked. For the settings at the top, even though showing my laptop monitor, I reselect “Laptop (Gamma 2.2)”. (NOTE here: Something I did that I didn’t do the first time. After I selected Laptop (gamma 2.2), mode seemed to go to “refresh” but i set it back to LCD White LED). Correction: Auto (None). Under calibration screen, settings are “as measured” for whitepoint and white level, tone curve: gamma 2.2, speed is medium, interactive display adjust not checked. Profiling all left at default. I then click “calibrate & profile” at the bottom. I place the Spyder over the measurement area screen and do not check black background at the bottom. I leave measurement area full screen, then click “start measurement”. The screen disappears, then a screen pops up saying something about setting up instrument. Then measurements commence as the screen changes color. Oddly enough, I can now hear the “camera click” sound as measurements are taken, so not sure why it’s working now and it wasn’t before. Before, it would start the first color screen, which was an offwhite, and just stay there. I left and came back 45 min later and it was still there.

BTW, I’m using this in Ubuntu 14.04. How can stop the program, while it’s taking measurements, without a shutdown? I’ve tried to “xkill” and then click the screen, but no response. I’ve also tried to open a terminal and can’t.

Thanks again for your help! This last time, I still had an sRGB of 83% with adobe in the 50’s, so pretty much the same as when I did it the first time.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for the detailed response.

“LCD (White LED) with black level drift compensation checked

Black level drift compensation is not needed for colorimeters generally. I would disable it, as it it will just increase measurement times due to the additional black readings.

I leave measurement area full screen

On a single display where you can’t move the progress window on anotther monitor, this is a bad idea because it’ll be covered by the measurement area. Better set a size that’s only a little larger than required to fit the sensor.

How can stop the program, while it’s taking measurements, without a shutdown?

See above. the progress window (which has cancel/pause buttons) is covered by the measurement area if it’s set to fullscreen.

This last time, I still had an sRGB of 83% with adobe in the 50’s, so pretty much the same as when I did it the first time.

Seems reasonable though. Most Laptop displays can’t cover sRGB, even less so AdobeRGB.

alfsorenson SourceForge

Thanks again, Florian. I should have read the part more closely regarding black point applying to spectrometers and not colorimeters :(. Took over 4 hours to complete, but next time will definitely leave disabled.

Yes, I just used the smaller measurement area this time and will in the future.

Three final questions if i may: When I do a recal in a month or so, should I start off with the current profile in place, or revert to the native? What’s the purpose of the “black background” option at the bottom of the measurement screen? Finally, when I do a calibration with my AOC LED IPS monitor, should I enable white point compensation?

I hope you’re ready for some questions when I try this out on my Win 7 desktop :). Had some trouble and just haven’t gotten back to it yet.

Thanks again,
    Alf

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-02 15:21:18 by alfsorenson.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Three final questions if i may: When I do a recal in a month or so, should I start off with the current profile in place, or revert to the native?

You can a) base a new profile off the current calibration by setting calibration tone curve to “As measured” and disabling interactive display adjustment, or you can b) update the calibration by enabling the “Update calibration” checkbox, or you can c) do everything new. I would do a measurement report before deciding. If the report shows only a whitepoint drift and no or little color drift, I would take b). If there was little to no whitepoint drift, but some color drift, I would do a). If there was neither whitepoint nor color drift, I wouldn’t do anything and continue using the existing calibration and profile, otherwise c).

What’s the purpose of the “black background” option at the bottom of the measurement screen?

On CRT displays (which are now basically extinct) or Plasmas this can help measurement stability.

Finally, when I do a calibration with my AOC LED IPS monitor, should I enable white point compensation?

No, LEDs don’t drift much and require no warmup time.

I hope you’re ready for some questions when I try this out on my Win 7 desktop :).

Sure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS