Issue with colorimeter correction and profiling using my own image( BenQ XL2420TE and i1Display Pro)

Home Forums Help and Support Issue with colorimeter correction and profiling using my own image( BenQ XL2420TE and i1Display Pro)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Dear all,

I am very new to this field. I hope this question would not be too supid.

I am currently trying to setup an experiment where I show images to subjects, and I need these images’ color to be very precise and correct, especaiily the Y value in the XYZ space. As a result, I need to make sure my monior (BenQ XL2420TE) is producing colors correctly, and I encounter some problems.

First, I cannot find a colorimeter correction file for my monior and colorimeter (i1Display Pro), and I am not so sure how this will affect my results. Do I actually need to buy a different device for my purpose?

Second, I notice that under the profiling tab, if I click the edit testchart, I can prvovide my own image for profiling by adding reference patches. However, I have 140 images that I want to include, but it seems like I cannot add all images at once? I tried to draw a very big image that combine all the images into one, but loading that image crash the dispcalGUI 3.0.4.3.

Any suggestions?
    I would personally donate $20 if my question get compeltely sovled.

Thank you.

James

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I need to make sure my monior (BenQ XL2420TE) is producing colors correctly

That monitor has a TN panel, so viewing angle will be a problem.

First, I cannot find a colorimeter correction file for my monior and colorimeter (i1Display Pro), and I am not so sure how this will affect my results. Do I actually need to buy a different device for my purpose?

That monitor should be a white LED, so you can use “LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsuing)”.

Second, I notice that under the profiling tab, if I click the edit testchart, I can prvovide my own image for profiling by adding reference patches.

For profiling purposes, I’d recommend going with the “Auto” testchart setting instead of creating a custom chart. Set the patch amount slider to around 1000 patches.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. May I have two followup questions?

About the viewing angle, I am wondering how much that will affect my results and is there a way that I can try to minimize the effect?

As for the suggestion for using the auto testchart, I am wondeering why you are suggesting that. Even if I only care about those colors that show up in the 140 images I have, I should not creating my own chart? Also, when you say patch amount slider do you mean “iterative patches”? And is there a way that I can test my images’ luminance afterward one by one in dispcalGUI?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

About the viewing angle, I am wondering how much that will affect my results

Depends on how homogenous the screen looks.

and is there a way that I can try to minimize the effect?

Other than making sure to always have the same viewing position, no. TN is not suitable for color-critical work.

As for the suggestion for using the auto testchart, I am wondeering why you are suggesting that.

Because this will guarantee the best possible result, as it will take into account the screen characteristics.

Also, when you say patch amount slider do you mean “iterative patches”?

No, do not use the testchart editor. Set testchart to “Auto” and use the slider below to adjust the amount of patches.

And is there a way that I can test my images’ luminance afterward one by one in dispcalGUI?

No.

• This reply was modified on 2015-11-24 23:29:39 by jameschenatosu.

Hi,

A little tech issue…

You mention that my monitor should be a white LED, so I can use “LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsuing)”. However, on this PC, I cannot find that option. I can see that option on my labtop though. Is it becasue my monitot is actually not a white LED? By the way, if I can borow a spectometer to do the correction, any suggestions on which one I should borrow? I suppose if I do it this way, it would be much more accurate?

Thank you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You mention that my monitor should be a white LED, so I can use “LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsuing)”. However, on this PC, I cannot find that option.

Select “Import colorimeter corrections from other software” in the “Tools” menu.

By the way, if I can borow a spectometer to do the correction, any suggestions on which one I should borrow? I suppose if I do it this way, it would be much more accurate?

Depends on what you can get your hands on. A Jeti 1211 will be more accurate than an i1 Pro, for example.

Sorry. I have one last question I think. After I used the spectometer to create the colorimeter correction, the system asked me to sleect a monito type. I am wondering if that matters, since I am not sure what type of monitor I have.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The BenQ XL2420TE has is white LED LCD display as far as I know.

I guess my question is: does it matters what I chose there or it is just a name tag?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It does matter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS