Issue in Calibration at D65 forced at D50

Home Forums Help and Support Issue in Calibration at D65 forced at D50

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

diego sartorio
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I am struggling with this problem, but before I start here’s the list of my HW:
    – Win10 (last version)
    – DataColor SpyderX Pro
    – Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti with Studio Driver 456.71
    – Philips Monitor 99% sRGB (office purpose) & BenQ SW240 (Photography)

Long story short, I tried PME and DisplayCAL with my SW240 and every time, even if I set D65,  my ICC profile Illuminant is wrong (see attached image).
    Following ICC standards I understood that those values are actually D50.
    I tried with my Philips monitor as well by using only DisplayCAL and the results are the same.
    Removing the ICM from Windows Color Manager the color temperature went back to D65 (as set onto the Philips monitor), while deletin the profile for the SW240 nothing change (I believe the builtin LUT has the same problem as the illuminant above).
    Now I cannot understand what is causing this problem.
    SpyderX Pro?
    Windows?
    GPU?

Please help me get through it.
    Thanks !

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Capture shows nothing. Share all if you want feedback.

BTW display ICC profiles have no issues storing PCS transformed coordinates as actual values. For example all the ones made by i1Profiler: those ICC stores PCS coodinates then a chromatic adaptation matrix.

Regarding PME it’s another fault in its long list of total failures: check if missing CHAD matrix in ICC viewer to recover from PCS D50 to actual value. Anyway, “from image to screen” is always whitepoint relative so for Photoshop & company it does not matter.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

diego sartorio
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I’ll attach the ICC Profile created with PME.
    When I run DisplayCAL (using SpyderX Pro) in order to check white point it says that the temperature measured is 6500k (more or less).
    I’ll say something stupid but in order to check I took my camera (both phone and my Fujifilm xpro2) and test what the meters measured and it seems like that they got exactly 5000K even though I set it to be 6500K.
    I read about ICC standard that they’re forcing D50 as a standard White point. Am I correct?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

-TAG  #3 + #12

-does not matter what you measure with your camera, use a reliable measurement device for this task: a high res espectro, and i1d3 with proper correction… that kind of devices.

-Using PCS D50 in WTPT is their own choice.

diego sartorio
    Participant

So, according to what you said the ICC profile is right and there’s no problem. I would like to understand the math behind that but I think is too much…
    SpyderX Pro is not a good choice then?

Anyway, my concerns are based on my inexperience and I should not question what I’m seeing?

Vincent
    Participant

-No Spyder has been a reliable device and X is no software upgradeable in a generic way to new backlights. You jumped in the wrong boat.

-WhiTePoinT + CHromatic ADaptation matrix. I wrote it above, tag 3 & 12. Those words on google should solve your doubts

-Image colorspace to display is whitepoint relative, otherwise a white 255 (or 16 equivalent) ProPhotoRGB/eciRGBv2 white canvas won’t look white on a D65 display. Just be cautious when using those profiles as a LUT3D generator source, thay may not work as you want, choose relative intent if in doubt

diego sartorio
    Participant

Ok, I’ll try to get an Xrite i1 Display Pro ASAP.  I got the SpyderX Pro after I googled the comparisons between the two (and it was similar and sometimes even better as other said)

-WhiTePoinT + CHromatic ADaptation matrix. I wrote it above, tag 3 & 12. Those words on google should solve your doubts

I try to google it. The only thing that I found is this link (just for the sake of know more about it)

diego sartorio
    Participant

Quick Update.
    I returned the SpyderX Pro and got an X-rite Pro.
    DeltaE consistency is better and lower now. I’m happy about that.
    Anyway, I cannot still understand why my output is still D50. I am getting used to it so doesn’t bother me much, but if I ever need my screen to be D65 I need to know how to do it.
    I tried the same process with another monitor (set at D65 on the monitor menu) and the results are the same.
    Could you please help get through it?

Vincent
    Participant

Anyway, I cannot still understand why my output is still D50. I am getting used to it so doesn’t bother me much, but if I ever need my screen to be D65 I need to know how to do it.

It is not. It has been explained before.
    If there is no bug in DisplayCAL and combination of tags #3 & #12 result in “actual white” in profile to be D50 just happens to be another bug in the long list of failures in PME.  I would say there is no bug in DisplayCAL since it can recover actual white from Xrite tools profiles with same PCS D50 white in WTPT and CHAD matrix scheme.
    Also it does not matter for PS/LR/etc since image to screen is white point relative, just be careful about it if you use that profie as input for LUT3D generation (avoid abs. col. intents)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS