Is this possible?

Home Forums Help and Support Is this possible?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Yves G
    Participant

I saw a video the other day about the Color Navigator 7 software (EIZO). I understand this is hardware “calibration” and it may be impossible to do otherwise. Something  I saw in there that I’d like to do (if possible) here on my Windows 10 with a single BenQ SW240 display.  The video showed us that it was possible to create a set of calibrations  for different purpose like general photo editing, soft proofing this or that paper. Say something like this

Photography        Brightness: 100 cd/m2, White Point: 5,500 K, Gamma: 2.2
    Printing                   Brightness: 80 cd/m2, White Point: 5,000 K, Gamma: 2.2, Black Point 0.4 cd/m2 (contrast ratio 200:1)
    Web Contents    Brightness: 80 cd/m2, White Point: 6,500 K, Gamma: 2.2

When this is done, you just need to select the “mode” you want and you have the exact hardware setting you set at calibration time.

Is anything like this is possible using DisplayCal just by just installing a different profile for example?
    If it’s possible then I’m very curious to know how to do such a thing and what are the limitations if any.

Thanks,

~Yves

Yves G
    Participant

Sorry, I almost got it to work as I want, except for setting the black point luminosity level all is fine now. Now I’ll try just to find the way to set the black level as I want.

Sorry again,

Yves

Vincent
    Participant

Those calibration target values seem pointless and useless to me*.

Anyway, your should have 3 CALx slots for Hardware calibration on that SW240 but Benq software is very bad and dos not support proper correction for colorimeters. Let’s assume that you are OK with that wrong correction and their probable wrong WP:
    -Use Benq PME to get each CALx to each target.
    -Once done, each time you change mode you have to change default display ICC profile in OS.
    -Use DisplayCAL to validate results. You can use the same wrong colorimeter correction (RGBLED) or validate with a more accurate one (HP Z24x WLED PFS) to check how far is target from actual color coordinates
    -You can use DisplayCAL to correct whitepoint and grey issues on each CALx, even id OSD controls are locked. Just ignore WP interactive adjustment and DisplayCAL will correct white using GPU LUTs. This may result in banding and posterization errors. AMD card and DisplayCAL tray app loaded are recommended.
    -Once done, each time you change mode you have to change default display ICC profile in OS. DisplayCAKL tray app is recomended, it’s easy to use.

If you want to skip taht poor spftware called PME from Benq, and since AFAIK that Benq mode has only 1 user/custom mode, you have to find a common ground for that 3 targets.
    For example use Custom mode to get white close to paper white (D50-D55) using OSD RGB gain controls and then some factory preset for D65 (web).
    Then calibrate each OSD mode woth DisplayCAL. If white is goingto be corrected on GPU due to RGB gain controls locked (like in some factory “AdobeRGB” mode) final brightness is going to drop a little.
    Once done, each time you change mode you have to change default display ICC profile in OS. DisplayCAL tray app is recomended, it’s easy to use.

*)
    Web/office/games D65 white is your target. Brightness depends on your enviroment. Non color managed apps need to use HW calibration or factory sRGB modes to limit gamut to sRGB.

For printing it’s useless to limit contrast if your editing app have softproof. Let them handle contrast limitation on canvas *for each paper/printer combination* (aka “printer profile” or print service softproof profile). This way you can use a variety of softproofing profiles with 1 display calibration.
    White point can be some standarized value to work aligned with some remote team (D50) or matching your light source for evaluating printed copies. That lght source should have a well behaved spectral power distribution, otherwise printed images won’t look as intened.
    Same for brightness, you can go for an standarized or common value (ISO P2 appraisal 160cd/m2 + D50) or jsut matching your light source for printed copies (an aproximation is lux at paper place divided by pi, ISO P2 500lux on paper => 160cd/m2, or custom 314 lux => 100cd/m2 on display etc…)

Note: if you do not own an i1d3 colorimeter it’s likely that you can’t measure properly that display, even having a graphic arts spectrophotometer like i1Pros. 10nm resolution is not enough (PME software). ArgyllCMS with DIsplayCAL can measure at 3nm but i1d3 colorimeter is recomended. Since it has HW calibration (even a bad one powred by that bad softare PME from Benq) it is recomended that chosen i1d3 is i1DIsplaypro, not i1displaystudio… otherwise you won’t be able to use PME.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS