Is the profile being used

Home Forums Help and Support Is the profile being used

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Harry
    Participant

Hi all, new user and rather excited by this software, especially because I could use my huey pro again.
    I know its a badly engineered and old product and would profile a green cast, but I found someone on other site stating they used displaycal and it corrected that issue for passable profile. As its supported I thought, why not.

My monitor is old and nothing special, a samsung 206bw that I used for basic photo editing running on Win10.
    I read through the guides and youtube videos on how to use displaycal.

I reset the monitor to factory defaults and had been running for min 4 hours.
    The first hurdle was setting the white point. No matter how much I adjusted the RGB values using the monitors own controls, I could not get it to balance, with blue and red heavily to the right and green shifted left.
    I had got the brightness down to 100 cd/m , pleasing to my eyes.

I then ran the calibration with the large test charge and took a while to complete. The results were rather surprising considering my monitor is no where near a high end panel and rather old. Its scored about 98% sRGB and about 68% Adobe RGB.
    I was dubious with the results, so ran the calibration again. Again getting very similar results.

So, I saved the profile and told displaycal to load it. There was a slight but noticeable shift in colours.

I checked windows 10 had defaulted to this new profile. yes.
    I then used reference images from http://www.gballard.net to look at the colours.
    I used faststone image viewer to view, as it uses colour management to show. Things looked great, skin tones were good etc.

The second test guided by that site is to either use photoshop/ and/or colour managed browser like Firefox to view the same reference images. This time though, the colour was not correct. The colours were dull and tones were not right.
    Photoshop showed the same issue, though incidentally if I proof the image to monitor view, which bypasses the profiling, the correct colours are shown.

I rebooted the PC and tried again, same problem with PS and FF.

So, what could have gone wrong? Is the profiling inaccurate or the Huey very bad. How is faststone showing correct colours and by using its colours management system, does it also bypass monitor profiling?

Any clues. appreciate it.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

No matter how much I adjusted the RGB values using the monitors own controls, I could not get it to balance, with blue and red heavily to the right and green shifted left.

One (or several) of the channels are probably already clipping. If increasing one channel doesn’t result in a change, reduce it until there is a change again. Then instead of increasing that channel, reduce the other channels.

The second test guided by that site is to either use photoshop/ and/or colour managed browser like Firefox to view the same reference images. This time though, the colour was not correct. The colours were dull and tones were not right.

Photoshop is generally a trustworthy program when it comes to evaluating if color management is working correctly.

Photoshop showed the same issue, though incidentally if I proof the image to monitor view, which bypasses the profiling, the correct colours are shown.

When you bypass color management (this is what “use monitor colors” and similar options do), the colors will not be corrected at all, and the RGB values in a picture will simply be sent to the display unchanged.

How is faststone showing correct colours and by using its colours management system

It isn’t. I would not trust FastStone’s color management over Photoshop. In fact, FastStone does not seem to support accurate color management at all: It seems to ignore the display profile.

Harry
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your informative reply.

I will try the RGB white point again the way you suggested.

I would of course trust Photoshop, being an industry standard tool but something is not right with my colours.

The reference images I used do not look correct (to my eyes), very flat when opened in Photoshop.

I understand your point about Faststone. I’ve also tried using Windows built-in photo viewer and again skin tones look good.

I wish I could get a fully calibrated monitor to reference mine with. I’ll try some other calibrated reference images and will report back.

Thx

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The reference images I used do not look correct (to my eyes)

You cannot judge this, because you have never seen the correct colors on the uncalibrated and unprofiled screen.

I understand your point about Faststone. I’ve also tried using Windows built-in photo viewer and again skin tones look good.

Windows Photos has the same problem as FastStone, it does not correctly color manage and assumes sRGB for display (meaning if the source is sRGB too, the result is the same as no color management).

Harry
    Participant

Hi Florian, hope you are well.

Ok, I managed to get RGB white point to balanced, adjusting the colours and contrast significantly on my monitor (it went mostly green).

Anyway I ran the calibration (large test) and once finished, produced a profile. My monitor was now significantly green and any reference images looked very off.

I’ve also got a Datacolor SpyderCHECKR 24 patch card. I opened up the sample patch reference images (though not ideal) in photoshop, put the physical card next to the monitor and colours looked crazy.

While I was experimenting, I went through the Monitors on colour modes:

Custom (which was now assigned  according to displaycal+huey)
    Text
    Internet
    Game
    Sport
    Movie
    Dynamic

If I chose ‘Movie’ + calibrated profile still loaded, the colours matched more closely to the patch card but there was still a difference.
    though very less than ‘custom’ I set it too.
    This was very a similar effect what huey would do with Huey software.

I thought Displaycal may compensate for Hueys error, displaycal is doing something correct but the colours are not correct.
    I cannot afford a calibration tool yet, If only I could borrow one, but I’m sure it’s the huey pro.

I don’t know exactly what 3D LUT profiling does, would that help?

What you think? Thanks for helping thus far, you must get a lot of questions.

Quick update : I just opened the same Datcolor sample files with windows photoviewer and it was much closer to the physical patch card, than it was with Photoshop. There is something seriously wrong.
    Am I getting some sort of monitor profile clash, from the old huey craeted profile (Which I did delete and unload) and the software does not run.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Harry.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Harry.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I cannot afford a calibration tool yet, If only I could borrow one, but I’m sure it’s the huey pro.

It’s a likely possibility.

Harry
    Participant

Thanks for your help all the same. The software is superb otherwise and will use it once I can get a better calibration tool.

Can’t believe I paid £120 for the huey pro. They should of not released this device at all.

Harry
    Participant

Quick update.
    I’ve been given a used Dell IPS monitor, which seems so much better than my on TN type.

I’ve brought a Spyder5 express on sale (Not the best but better than my huey) and knew I had to use DisplayCal.
    Wow. The results look superb.
    Though I know DisplayCal has some very in depth options for great calibration, I’ve followed a basic guide and happy with the results.
    I definitely want to understand all the options for great calibration.

As a photographer, can I use DisplayCal+Spyder5 in other ways.
    I have a spyder checker24 patch too.
    As I edit sometimes during the day and night, with ambient & artificial light, should I calibrate for both settings?
    If so, whats the best approach?

Just wish I could calibrate my TV with DisplayCal.
    I’ve looked into HCFR, but its flow is so confusing and not  intuitive.
    Are so many guides are in  french or english ones are old.

Oh well, as massive appreciation here.
    Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As I edit sometimes during the day and night, with ambient & artificial light, should I calibrate for both settings?
    If so, whats the best approach?

The best approach for consistency is to control the lighting, instead of trying to deal with changing lighting conditions via the calibration and profile.

Just wish I could calibrate my TV with DisplayCal.

The only form of TV calibration that DisplayCAL supports is via 1D and 3D LUTs (although some video players, i.e. MPC-HC, have limited ICC color management support).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS