Is it worth it to update from Huey to Colormunki calibrator?

Home Forums Help and Support Is it worth it to update from Huey to Colormunki calibrator?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Baobab
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been using DisplayCAL with my fairly old Huey Pro calibrator (12 years old), and I’m wondering if it’s time to update or not (do calibrators “degrade” over time?).

Would I notice a significant improvement with the calibration results if I buy the Colormunki display? I’m also thinking about the new SyperX, a bit more expensive but still within my budget (any recommendations between the two?).

I intend to use exclusively DisplayCAL, so differences in software are not relevant, only the quality of the hardware used with DisplayCAL.

I’m not a professional photographer but still I do print a lot and for me it’s important to have decently calibrated displays.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been using DisplayCAL with my fairly old Huey Pro calibrator (12 years old), and I’m wondering if it’s time to update or not (do calibrators “degrade” over time?).

1-Yes, specially if you no longer use a CCFL sRGB display

2-Yes but some colorimeters age fast and others keep their accuracy for long time if properly stored. It depenss on materials and device construction.

Would I notice a significant improvement with the calibration results if I buy the Colormunki display?

Yes, and i1d3 family keep accuracy for years.

I’m also thinking about the new SyperX, a bit more expensive but still within my budget (any recommendations between the two?).

Read threads here. Short anwser: get an i1d3 like that Munki Display.

I intend to use exclusively DisplayCAL, so differences in software are not relevant, only the quality of the hardware used with DisplayCAL.

I’m not a professional photographer but still I do print a lot and for me it’s important to have decently calibrated displays.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Monitors with hardware calibration are common these days. If you go for a munki display you are going to loose that feature unless someone makes a plugin for DisplayCAL to write some kind of HW cal to those monitors with HW cal and some public SDK (like Dell and HP). These SDK were published 2 or 3 years ago and no one made a step forward for this task and it looks like it is not going to happen (it is a very limited population of users, even for brave GNU developers).

So if there is a slight possibility of buying a monitor with hardware calibration in the next… 5 years? buy an i1DisplayPro.
    Otherwise and if you do not care about speed, a Colormunki Display will work.

If you own and old CCFL sRGB display and when you calibrate with your Huey you do not notice huge or disgusting color cast in “255 white”… maybe you can keep your Huey untill you get a new display.

Baobab
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answer.

My monitor does not have HW calibration and is LED backlit, but I don’t think I’ll buy a HW calibrated monitor in the foreseeable future.

I think I’ll go with the Colormunki Display.

Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS