Is it possible to use DisplayCAL to do interactive calibration?

Home Forums General Discussion Is it possible to use DisplayCAL to do interactive calibration?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Squidmaster7
    Participant

Hello guys, first time calibrator here. I have ordered an X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus. What I would like to do is to calibrate y LG32GK850G monitor. I do not really have any intention of creating an ICC / LUT because I mostly play games and have read quite a bit about how games override profiles etc. I dont feel like messing around with reshade. What I would like to do is get my monitor’s OSD settings as close to perfect as possible. Is DisplayCAL able to help me with this? If so, what steps are recommended? Ideally I would like to shoot for the fairly normal calibration settings of 6500k, 2.2.

From watching video tutorials I see that there is a quick interactive calibration portion before creating a profile. During this interactive calibration, what is DisplayCAL checking for? If I get a good settings on that section am I “close enough”?

My next questions concerns gamma, I have three different gamma settings on my OSD. Is DisplayCAL able to give me feedback on what each setting corresponds to?

Thanks for the help!

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

namefaceguy
    Participant

Reshade is incredibly easy to use.  It’s not intimidating at all.  Use it.

SirMaster
    Participant

All you get from DisplayCAL is the interactive white point which just sets the white balance of 100% white.

It’s important, but it’s only scratching the surface of a calibration.

If you want to calibrate your monitor using it’s OSD controls you want to use HCFR, not DisplayCAL.

namefaceguy
    Participant

Don’t you need a spectrometer to use HCFR or am I off base?

SirMaster
    Participant

Don’t you need a spectrometer to use HCFR or am I off base?

No, no such thing.

You can use a spectro or a colorimeter with HCFR all the same.

Normally you don’t calibrate with a spectro in the first place anyways, but you use one to make a correction matrix for your colorimeter for the display you are calibrating.

namefaceguy
    Participant

Do you know of any resources on how to us HCFR?  I’ve looked and can’t find any guides on how it works.  Any tips?  What are the benefits of using it ?  I have a monitor with 6 axis color settings that I would like to try and improve with interactive calibration but I’ve not seen any thing showing how.

SirMaster
    Participant

The whole point of HCFR is for interactive manual calibration.

You can generate all sort of patterns to calibrate white balance, gamma, primary and secondary colors, etc.

I don’t really know a guide, I just played around with it and found it pretty easy to use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS