Is dithering good to use even if the display chain, and monitor is 10 bits?

Home Forums General Discussion Is dithering good to use even if the display chain, and monitor is 10 bits?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

A.ces
    Participant

Like i can use temporal dithering + 10 bit display-path but the temporal dithering implementation seems to lighten the gamma on the top end 90-98% grayscale introducing a downward curve there when doing a verification report, so i wonder what’s truly better: dithering + 10 bit but with gamma curve altered at the top-end or just plain 10 bit signal path but gamma curve truly intact.

Vincent
    Participant

Like i can use temporal dithering + 10 bit display-path but the temporal dithering implementation seems to lighten the gamma on the top end 90-98% grayscale introducing a downward curve there when doing a verification report, so i wonder what’s truly better: dithering + 10 bit but with gamma curve altered at the top-end or just plain 10 bit signal path but gamma curve truly intact.

I doubt it… and it will a specific vendor issue not a general one,

A.ces
    Participant

I doubt it… and it will a specific vendor issue not a general one,

Yeah it’s NVIDIA’s implementation of dithering that does it, though i also noticed that intel iGPU dithering implementation also seems to alter gamma as i can noticeable see the picture get darker when using the intel dithering tool to disable/enable their version of dithering, verification reports also confirm it.

Though on other displays with only 8-bit I have no choice but to use dithering due to banding even if it alters  90-98% gamma.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS