Is DisplayCAL abandoned?

Home Forums General Discussion Is DisplayCAL abandoned?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

sblantipodi
    Participant

Hi,

As title. Last release of DisplayCAL was built on 2019.

We are in 2022 now, 😀 is DisplayCAL abandoned?

Thank you

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

(This is the copy/paste of my other post):

Hey guys,

I started porting DisplayCAL to Python 3.x now. And I’m happy to say that it started to breath. So the UI works with Python 3.9.7, albeit with a ton of bugs, I was able to calibrate and profile. But currently not able to install the created profile. But hopefully in short amount of time I’m expecting to fix those bugs too.

The GitHub repository is: https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Feel free to pull and test the code, and please create tickets so we can smash those pesky bugs ????

The code needs to be installed as an sdist (install instructions are there and if it is not working for you, please create an issue). There are people volunteered to create proper RPM, DEB, APP or MSI packages for wide variety of OSes.

I would love to be the next maintainer for DisplayCAL with Florian Hoch’s permission. I’m intending to keep all the donation links to stay intact, so he and Graeme Gill of ArgyllCMS still benefit from the donations.

Let’s keep the future of DisplayCAL bright!

Cheers,

SirMaster
    Participant

(This is the copy/paste of my other post):

Hey guys,

I started porting DisplayCAL to Python 3.x now. And I’m happy to say that it started to breath. So the UI works with Python 3.9.7, albeit with a ton of bugs, I was able to calibrate and profile. But currently not able to install the created profile. But hopefully in short amount of time I’m expecting to fix those bugs too.

The GitHub repository is: https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Feel free to pull and test the code, and please create tickets so we can smash those pesky bugs ????

The code needs to be installed as an sdist (install instructions are there and if it is not working for you, please create an issue). There are people volunteered to create proper RPM, DEB, APP or MSI packages for wide variety of OSes.

I would love to be the next maintainer for DisplayCAL with Florian Hoch’s permission. I’m intending to keep all the donation links to stay intact, so he and Graeme Gill of ArgyllCMS still benefit from the donations.

Let’s keep the future of DisplayCAL bright!

Cheers,

Wow, this is great news and very generous to donate your time.

I will try to test this out when I can.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Guys, I’m happy to let you know that the DisplayCAL is now working (https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3).

Please test it and please create issues for every single hiccup you encountered. There are very little automated tests, and I need the code to be tested constantly until we write enough tests that covers 100% of the code (which may not be possible).

Steve Smith
    Participant

So please help me to understand what’s going on here… DisplayCAL works just fine as-is in Windows 10… So what does this Python 3.x  thing mean?

Please excuse my limited knoledge.

Steve.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by Steve Smith.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

The original DisplayCAL is written with a programing language called Python, more precisely version 2 of Python. Python has a newer version called Python 3, and Python 2 has now deprecated. The problem is that there are certain things changed from version 2 to 3 that prevents some certain codes to not to run in Python 3. That is generally not a big deal to fix the code to work properly with Python 3 and that’s what I did for DisplayCAL.

You are able to run DisplayCAL under Windows, because it comes in an executable form that contains the Python 2 interpreter in it. But in other operating systems, like Linux, the interpreter and other required libraries are installed by the operating systems package manager, and we do not have Python 2 and older versions of the other required libraries anymore, thus DisplayCAL doesn’t even install via the package managers (like yum, dnf, rpm, apt, deb etc.). Of course, as in Windows, there are self contained executables under Linux too, like appimages or flatpaks. But, it is not good to leave DisplayCAL without it being able to run with Python 3 and take advantage of new idioms in the language. So, we now have a proper GitHub repository where we, as the comnunity, took over the burden of developing DisplayCAL and it is progressing very well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS