Is calibration necessary if…

Home Forums Help and Support Is calibration necessary if…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hello

I’m curious, Is grayscale calibration via software necessary if an HDTV can be internally calibrated to produce a result well below .3 DE? ( Using 10pt Grayscale, gamma, kelvin controls).

I’ve noticed that if I attempt to calibrate the grayscale with software after calibrating the HDTV internally, I often get a higher DE than if i had just left it alone.

I’m not talking about color profiling here… Software profiling does seem to be necessary and does help color DEs significantly.

Does software calibration improve something that I’m not understanding here?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m curious, Is grayscale calibration via software necessary if an HDTV can be internally calibrated to produce a result well below .3 DE? ( Using 10pt Grayscale, gamma, kelvin controls).

It’s unlikely you’ll get much (or any) improvement over such a result.

I’ve noticed that if I attempt to calibrate the grayscale with software after calibrating the HDTV internally, I often get a higher DE than if i had just left it alone.

Within an 8-bit signal path, there’s only so much that videoLUT calibration can do. TV controls may or may not have a higher internal precision.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS