Introduction to 3D LUT?

Home Forums Help and Support Introduction to 3D LUT?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tausendberg SourceForge

Is there some kind of an introduction to 3D LUT somewhere?

I’m really confused about a lot of things. Under the 3D LUT tab there is no source colorspace option for sRGB even though that’s what I’m trying to be calibrated to, am I misunderstanding something? Does 3D LUT get sent to the video card or do I need some additional software to use them?

vrships SourceForge

I guess the target space is just the profiled space of your display, since 3D LUT can only be created after profiling.
    But I do have the same question how 3D LUT differs from the LUT transformation of an ICC profile. They essentially serve the same purpose or are even calculated by a same procedure, right? But it seems 3D LUT and device link only apply to video workflows and are not integrated in the system’s CMS, and hence not used by general picture viewing and processing applications ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

They essentially serve the same purpose or are even calculated by a same procedure, right?

Somewhat, although an ICC display profile maps RGB <-> PCS (Profile Connection Space, usually XYZ for display profiles), while a “3D LUT” maps input colorspace RGB -> display colorspace RGB directly. The PCS approach is more flexible, while the RGB -> RGB approach gives you more control over the end result as the exact transform is baked.

But it seems 3D LUT and device link only apply to video workflows and are not integrated in the system’s CMS

Yes. Some non-video applications (e.g. Photoshop) can apply 3D LUTs in some formats though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS