Instrument Suggestions

Home Forums General Discussion Instrument Suggestions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

raysilverstone
    Participant

I’m pulling out my hair because my photos are not printing the way I see them on my monitors.  I’m trying to figure out what is an inexpensive option to get this problem fixed.

I have 3 displays. 1 is Samsung TV the other 2 are Dell S2330MX.

I purchased a Spyder 2 on ebay that is either too old or junk.  It was reading my Samsung was low on green and when I finally got it where it was reading in the middle the monitor looked awful. It was way off.
    I’m trying to decide if I should take the risk of buying a different used instrument or rent one.
    I was thinking if I’m going the used route to try the X-Rite ColorMunki Display or the X-Rite Smile
    I’m not sure if this model is DisplayCAL compatible.  If so that’s my option for renting.
    Any help would be great!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Colorimeters are not suitable for printer profiling. You need a spectrometer, i.e. the i1 Studio (same as ColorMunki Design/Photo) or i1 Pro 2.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Florian Höch.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

raysilverstone
    Participant

So I’m mainly printing pictures of my kids using Walmart photo once or twice a year.  All my other photos are going online.  Usually, the photos I post online are just fine at least I’ve never gotten any complaints about them.
    Spectrometers look to be pretty pricy.  Is this one considered a spectrometer? https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/colormunki
    I see that is says it’s a ColoMunki Photo.  I’m not using my own printer so would I just print out one of the color swatches to Walmart and have the reader read those results?
    Should I use the Photo dropdown in DisplayCAL when measuring the monitor?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m not using my own printer so would I just print out one of the color swatches to Walmart and have the reader read those results?

I’m not really sure how stable or uniform those Walmart printers are, so I don’t really think profiling them makes sense as it would just be a snapshot of that specific printer in the specific condition it was in at the time.

raysilverstone
    Participant

I’m not using my own printer so would I just print out one of the color swatches to Walmart and have the reader read those results?

I’m not really sure how stable or uniform those Walmart printers are, so I don’t really think profiling them makes sense as it would just be a snapshot of that specific printer in the specific condition it was in at the time.

Would you suggest I at least start with a Colorimeter like the X-Rite Smile? That way I’m at least getting my display to show correctly for online posting? I found a used device for $20.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I wouldn’t bother with the Smile at this point. The ColorMunki Display on the other hand has been re-branded to i1 Display Studio, so you may be able to get the former for cheap as vendors are selling off old stock.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS