Install Profile

Home Forums Help and Support Install Profile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

TML59
    Participant

I use DisplayCAL and (a while back) did a calibration (“calibrate & profile”) as the quick start guide says.

I think something isn’t OK so I started to check some stuff. When I look at my Windows settings I see that the color profile used for my monitor has a different name compared to the profile I created with DisplayCAL when I calibrated.

As DisplayCAL is in my tray (and thus in memory), I assume / assumed that the calibrated profile overrules that.

However in DisplayCAL itself I see a button “Install Profile”, that seems to install the calibrated profile for my monitor. That step is not in the quick start. So what does this “Install profile” step do then? I don’t seem to be able to find an explanation for this step in the help on the site.

Anyone who can shed some light on this maybe?

Ben
    Participant

Set windows display calibration to off.   It overrides displaycal.   Go to display settings.   Then advanced display settings.   The display adapter properties.   Color Mangement and click on that.  Advanced.   Use Windows display calibration should be off even if a grey box.   If its greyed go to system defaults and advanced and uncheck use windows display calibration.

Vincent
    Participant

If you install or update Calibrite Profiler it will enable again! so do as Ben said.
    Calibrite Profiler lacks of its own LUT loader, i1Profiler & derivatives (Dell & others) had a low bitdepth version (XRGamma.exe), so calibrite app must rely on OS LUT loader.
    Also using Win LUT loader makes LUT low bitdepth unless reboot.

TML59
    Participant

Ben, thanks for the tips to set the windows display calibration to off.

I followed all your steps and everything was already off/disabled. But still I see the Color Profile set in System/Display…

TML59
    Participant

Vincent, thanks for your answer. I don’t understand what you mean however. You talk about “Calibrate Profiler”, I don’t know what you mean with that.

Ben
    Participant

You have a profile installed.   It is supposed to show there.    Windows Hardware Calibration has to be off.    It is you said.

You can right click on Displacal profile loader and set display profile to a displaycal one.    And you can view the profile with the info button.      Callibrilla is one app I use to see the video card lut table.  https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/Calibrilla.shtml      .     Its russian so hard to understand the manual.

TML59
    Participant

This is what I see when I right-click DisplayCAL profile loader. How do I set the display profile?
    Also, I don’t see an info-button.

Coming back to what I saw earlier, maybe the color profile displayed in Windows IS my DisplayCAL one, I’m not sure how I can check that. The profile starts with 32UHD144 (which is the ID for my monitor).

Also, my initial question remains open: in DisplayCal, to the right of the display @ the top with the settings file there is a button that says: “Install Profile”. I’n not sure what that does.

I ran Callibrilla but not sure what I need to look for there…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ben
    Participant

Go to to profile associations to set your profile.   I never noticed that.   It is a little download arrow.   It don’t hurt to try something if you know you can reset it.   I never used it.    It installs the profile  shown in settings.     1st  you have to calibrate.   Then it asks to install it or cancle so you do not need to use the icon install profile.

I took you in deeper water- hope you get the expression-  with Callibralla.   It will show the red green and blue  video card gamma table.   The lines are all the same with a profile and not a video card calibration.   I just look at it and close it with the X at top right.   It is nice to see how much your hardware monitor rgb gamma is off compared to a linear line.   Input signal is suppossed to be a linear line but devices are off.     Displaycal is very deep and a big learning curve.    Lots of tutorials on it to google.

TML59
    Participant

I found two color profiles: “32UHD144.icm” but also “32UHD144 #1 2023-08-04 14-51 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX.icm”

The latter was created by DisplayCAL. The first one is named in Windows (but both start with the same characters…).
    If I look in “Profile Associations” in DisplayCAL I see that |32UDH144.icm”, see attachment. Maybe it’s wrong here? I don’t know what “Use my settings…” means or does.

I think we’re getting close 😉

Attachments:

TML59
    Participant

On Calibrilla, I added what I see in the attachment

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

I found two color profiles: “32UHD144.icm” but also “32UHD144 #1 2023-08-04 14-51 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX.icm”

The latter was created by DisplayCAL. The first one is named in Windows (but both start with the same characters…).
    If I look in “Profile Associations” in DisplayCAL I see that |32UDH144.icm”, see attachment. Maybe it’s wrong here? I don’t know what “Use my settings…” means or does.

I think we’re getting close 😉

“use my setings for this device” (there or in Windows control panel)
    Then you can add custom profiles to that display.

“32UHD144.icm” is display driver profile, no grey calibration, just native primaries (EDID), D65, nominal 2.2 or sRGB gamma

“32UHD144 #1 2023-08-04 14-51 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX.icm” custom profile by DisplayCAL with grey calibration. Wrong settings BTW (better start with medium speed or slower, matrix + single curve, BPC).

Vincent
    Participant

Vincent, thanks for your answer. I don’t understand what you mean however. You talk about “Calibrate Profiler”, I don’t know what you mean with that.

It was justa warning to people that installed or update the i1d3 colorimeter software from Calibrite. It re enables Win LUT loader.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ben
    Participant

Its weird I get no profiles showing up when I untick use my settings for this device in display cal profile loader.   Maybe I made the pc not use a profile before display Cal.

TML59
    Participant

With “Use my settings” unchecked, I see “Add…” in the lower left corner (that’s an elevated button).
    With “Use my settings” checked, as with Ben, my profile disappears and the “Add…” button in the lower left is no longer elevated.
    I think the elevated call changes this for the system and the non-elevated call (“Use my settings” checked) just changes them for me.
    Could that be the case? I’m OK to try the DisplayCAL profile for the whole system. Now I’m “re-confused” 😉 because Vincent tells me that my profile uses the wrong settings????? What do I do to create a better / good profile then? Your explanation is a bit cryptic to me (apologies, I’m not experienced here).

Ben
    Participant

Your profile should be the xyzlut+matrix one.    He knows because the calibrilla graph has no curves in it.    The use my settings maybe setting to use windows local account settings.  That implies unchecked is using the system defaults.   I had wrong idea what is was doing.   It explains why I have no profiles shown with it unchecked.  I have no system default profile associated with my screen.   You do need a displaycal profile associated with your monitor to see the difference in white balance and gamma using the video card lut.  .     I do not know if it needs it or not.   It probably not needed.   A tv is good without a profile.   A monitor might have a profile that really fix it.   I had a cheap crt monitor long ago that needed it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS