Incorrectly detected madVR only on 2nd monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Incorrectly detected madVR only on 2nd monitor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Monstieur
    Participant

I have two monitors and have exported a madVR 3DLUT file for each with the same settings (Apply Calibration VGCT is disabled so that DisplayCal will not reset the calibration on the desktop). I have Disable Gamma Ramp also unchecked in madVR.

On the 1st monitor the DisplayCal Profile Loader icon remains coloured and active, indicating it is correctly apply calibration and madVR is not touching the gamma ramp. However on the 2nd monitor the icon becomes greyed out and the calibration is reset. This should behave like the 1st monitor since VGCT is not applied to the 3DLUT file.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However on the 2nd monitor the icon becomes greyed out and the calibration is reset.

Greyed out profile loader icon means it’s disabled, i.e. it doesn’t touch the gamma ramp at all. Note that this doesn’t necessarily mean that madVR reset the gamma ramps either (i.e. if the gamma ramps were linear to begin with).

Monstieur
    Participant

The calibration is not linear for both monitors. I need DisplayCAL to preserve the gamma ramp on both monitors. The problem with the 2nd monitor is if I Alt-Tab out of a full screen application like a game, then the ramp is reset and not restored because it’s greyed out. I usually leave madVR running in the background playing YouTube while I do other stuff. That’s why I didn’t apply VGCT to the 3DLUT.

Why is it being disabled only for the 2nd monitor? I actually have a 3rd display (an AV receiver) with no monitor attached for HDMI audio, so I use a 1 & 3 or 2 & 3.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Monstieur.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Why is it being disabled only for the 2nd monitor?

It detects wether or not the calibration is reset. if it is and madVR is running, then the only correct option is to disable because madVR may handle the calibration state.

Monstieur
    Participant

It detects wether or not the calibration is reset. if it is and madVR is running, then the only correct option is to disable because madVR may handle the calibration state.

But both 3DLUTs have identical settings (VCGT not applied), and Disable Gamma Ramp is unchecked for both monitors in madVR. Why is the behaviour different for the 2nd monitor?

You specifically made a change a few releases ago to allow DisplayCAL to preserve calibration if the madVR does not handle VCGT. It’s working correctly but only for the 1st monitor. Is it a madVR bug?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Why is the behaviour different for the 2nd monitor?

The gamma ramps are reset to linear, possibly by madVR. Could be a madVR issue, or some other software is interfering and resetting the gamma ramps.

Monstieur
    Participant

Could this be related to the wrong profile being assigned to the 2nd monitor in my other thread? i.e. The calibration profile does not “match” the 3DLUT (even though there is no VCGT in it).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS