Inconsistencies between same displays

Home Forums Help and Support Inconsistencies between same displays

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Harry Kemp
    Participant

Hi guys,

We have three different workstations each working with 2x Dell P2715Q 4K displays. I have been using the x-rite dell-branded ‘ultrasharp calibration solution’ software to bring these monitors to rec709 spec – the most important factors for us being a White-point of 6500K, White level of 120cd/m2, tone curve of rec709 and a gamma of 2.2. When I set these settings using medium calibration speed in Displaycal in combination with our i1DisplayPro in LCD (generic) mode with corrections set to Auto (None) (I am not 100% sure of the corrections I should be using as I haven’t been able to find any info online about the kind of display the P2715Q is…all the spec sheets say is ‘LED Edgelight system’ and ‘In-plane switching’ – this is quite confusing, especially as the display is listed on the Dell website under ‘LCD’ monitors, but the specs say it uses an LED Edgelight system…huh?

To continue, when I run the calibration I have some very large discrepancies between the two displays on each workstation. I have re-calibrated over and over again but the monitors never perfectly match. I am using interactive display adjustments, and I think this may be what is causing the issues. On one display I might have the RGB adjustments at R99 G98 B93 and on the other R90 G87 B98 and the interactive display adjustment window says that the levels are all at the correct point, but when the calibration is finished on both displays, the display with the higher Blue level is obviously much more blue, despite the interactive display adjustments stating otherwise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not too sure how to overcome this issue and get the two displays to match.

Thanks guys!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Can’t say much about the inconsistencies more than I see those too, but pretty much with every system I try and every calibration software and calibration display even recalibrating the same display. There is sort of like a dark magic behind it 🙂

now about the kind of monitor. All of them are LCD… The LED part is how the light on the back is generated, some monitors use LEDs, which there are several kinds, white LED, blue LED with yellow phosphor, Arrays of Red Blue and Green LEDs…. Etc etc… And CCFls. So the fact that states that is an LED monitor is independent of the fact that is an LCD.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

I’m sure you will get a good answer to help you with the calibration. I’m myself still learning how to get consistent results. Which I get with much simpler software like the one that comes with the Spyder and the ColorMunki but are not that accurate. With this software you can get much deeper analysis and more correction. But I suspect that the quality of the screen and the conditions of the room you are doing the measuring, like the amount of ambient light at that moment, change the results.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Are you using the same target whitepoint (which can be set/changed on the “Calibration” tab in DisplayCAL) on all monitors? If you can’t get a good match by aligning the bars during interactive adjustment, you can also pick one display as reference and adjust the others visually to match.

Harry Kemp
    Participant

Yes, our displays are all calibrated to a while point of 6500K…I’ll try doing it by eye, but unfortunately we require the display to be exactly (or as close as posisble) ‘to-spec’ and I feel as if matching by eye won’t be able to accurately achieve this.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you have a spectrometer to check against or create a colorimeter correction? If not, then you’ll have to trust what you have (i.e. the i1 DisplayPro). Btw, the Dells are probably White LED, so a generic correction you can choose is “Spectral: White LED” (you can import these corrections in the “Tools” menu if you don’t already have them).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS