Inaccurate low black levels and banding after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Inaccurate low black levels and banding after calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

pib319
    Participant

Hello, I am currently trying to calibrate my laptop using Argyll + DisplayCal. The hardware I’m using is an X-Rite ColorMunki Display. For the display calibration settings, I am using the gamma 2.2 default settings, so the whitepoint and white level are set to native. After I run through the calibration process, the colors are a lot more accurate and gamma is almost perfect (2.18) but the black levels seem inaccurate. When using the black level test on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php the first square is completely gone, but the rest of the squares are visible and seem to have a linear progression. On the banding test, there are prominent bars near on the black end. It seems I am only getting this issue with Argyll + DisplayCal software, because when I use the ColorMunki software, the banding is nearly perfect and all the squares are visible on the black levels test. What could be causing this issue?

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

laptops often use lower quality panels that suffer from limited bit depth (usually 6 bit + FRC dither), which doesn’t leave much headroom for alterations through calibration and/or applied color management. There’s not really a way around it, as it’s a hardware limitation.

pib319
    Participant

Hey, so I found out what the issue was. The browser I was using to view the images seems to mess up on colors or it isn’t using icc profiles correctly. When viewing saved images on my computer they appear much more accurate and true. After testing this out, it seems the DisplayCal calibration was more accurate after all!

To anyone using the lagom.nl website to visually test color accuracy, I recommend you use the download link to download the images and view them offline, not in a web browser.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you’re using Firefox, make sure to set gfx.color_management.enablev4 to true (to enable support for cLUT profiles) and gfx.color_management.mode to 1 (to color manage everything) in about:config.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS