iMac Pro + LG UltraFine with i1 Display Pro. Match displays? Backlight tech?

Home Forums Help and Support iMac Pro + LG UltraFine with i1 Display Pro. Match displays? Backlight tech?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jamespaulley
    Participant

Hi, I’ve read the FAQs and tried to read up and educate myself as much as possible, but I am new to calibration so apologies for any bad questions.

I have an iMac Pro and an LG UltraFine 27MD5KA. I’d like to get them to match as closely as possible. I’m using an i1 Display Pro.

• For the iMac Pro:
      • For “Correction” do I need to choose one of the PFS Phosphor settings? There are four to choose from, do I want “99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)”, or perhaps the “94% P3”? There are also some available in the “online” options (if I click the globe icon), perhaps one of those is applicable?
      • This article from X-Rite states that the iMac Pro screen is “GB-LED (RG Phosphor)”, and the X-Rite software selects that by default for the iMac Pro. But I think this info is just incorrect or outdated?
        https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx/?ID=1473&Action=Support&SupportID=5904
    • For the LG UltraFine:
      • For correction do I want “PFS Phosphor WLED, 99% P3”? Again there are online options via the globe icon.
    • Do either of these displays support ADC?
    • Can I get these two displays to match, or is it going to be impossible as neither of them have built in hardware controls?

Thank you very much.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

do I want “99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)”

Yes (all current iMac + MacBook Pro models).

For the LG UltraFine:

Somebody else will have to chime in.

Do either of these displays support ADC?

Doesn’t really matter as DisplayCAL doesn’t support ADC.

Can I get these two displays to match

May require a bit of tinkering and skill using the visual method outlined in the FAQ, but since they seem to use same backlight technology, it should be not too hard to achieve a very good match.

jamespaulley
    Participant

Thank you Florian!

So the iMac Pro is using PFS Phosphor WLED, 99% P3? But you think the UltraFine could need a different setting? The link below just states it’s using W-LED.
    https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/aab27f7

ADC was something I saw in the X-Rite Profiler software. So without those hardware adjustments, will DisplayCal do its adjustments on the GPU?

Cheers.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Look at gamut. Everything that lists > 95% P3 is PFS Phosphor (at least in the current market).

So without those hardware adjustments, will DisplayCal do its adjustments on the GPU?

Yes. Note though that most ADC-capable displays do not have internal LUT and ADC is just used to automatically adjust whitepoint and backlight on the display. It also seems to not work half the time (at least as far as my experience with i1Profiler is concerned) and is dead slow 🙂

jamespaulley
    Participant

Amazing, thank you. So have I got this right: if a display lists its gamut as greater than 95% P3, it’ll be PFS Phosphor? Annoyingly I can not find gamut info anywhere for the iMac Pro. I think the X-Rite software incorrectly automatically selects RG Phosphor for the iMac Pro.

Okay should I forget about ADC then? I probably won’t be using the X-Rite software again anyway, as I believe DisplayCal is a better choice?

I’m now trying to get my head around the tips for display matching in the FAQ. Thanks again.

Vincent
    Participant

Amazing, thank you. So have I got this right: if a display lists its gamut as greater than 95% P3, it’ll be PFS Phosphor?

Maybe the exception are some QLED low cost photo displays with AHVA panels from AUOptronics (some Benqs in SW series, but newer ones seems to be WLED PFS variant if we trust user made corrections like the one for SW240)

Or some RGBB OLED/AMOLED displays too, but if display is OLED type user usually knows it in advance.

Annoyingly I can not find gamut info anywhere for the iMac Pro.

I would say that all new widegamut Apple displays are “exactly p3” (WLED PFS family with almost exactly P3 gamut, there are other WLED PFS for photography with bigger gamut). Apple aims for that so they can oversimplify color management (and they do, hence limitations present in Apple color management and default DisplayCAL config for macOS)
    I would use “99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” correction for all widegamut displays from apple or those LG display designed for apple. Which ones are widegamuts? Measure green or red, even without correction they will be far away from sRGB counterparts and next to P3 primaries.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Vincent.

jamespaulley
    Participant

I’ve had a go at matching the displays. Could someone chime in if they spot I’ve done anything wrong? Cheers!

1. I calibrated the iMac Pro screen using Correction Preset “PFS Phosphor 99% P3”, Whitepoint set to D65 and White Level set to 120 cd/m.
    2. Then I calibrated the UltraFine like so: I set the same Correction Preset as above. For Whitepoint I placed the Visual Whitepoint Editor on each screen in full-screen mode. I was careful not to accidentally change any settings in the Whitepoint Editor on the iMac Pro. Using the Whitepoint Editor on the LG, I slightly nudged the Hue and Saturation values, until the white screens visually matched. Then I Measured the Whitepoint on the LG screen with the i1 Display Pro. This then changed the Chromaticity Coordinates to the measured value. I then set the White Level to 120cd/m, and calibrated the display.

The results are visually pretty close. Not perfect, but close enough so that most of the time I am not going to be distracted by having noticeably different colours between the screens.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS