iMac late 2012 and Samsung Q-Dot Curve 32″ 2K monitor

Home Forums Help and Support iMac late 2012 and Samsung Q-Dot Curve 32″ 2K monitor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Eco-Max
    Participant

Hi there,

Any of you kind folks able to (mighty slow and understandable!) tell an old non-techie like me, how I adjust the settings so that Im able to use a Samsung Q-Dot Curve 32″ 2K monitor c32h711qeu for various spreadsheets, without getting an instant headache due to the glare, unclear fonts and perhaps flicker?

I’ve tried to read up on the various threads in here, but it very fast gets too techy for me. I had hoped the DisplayCAL program would simply fix it, but for some reason the “Calibrate and profile” button never gets activated? What do I do wrong?
    Cheers, Max
    (Screenshot of DisplayCal setting and my iMac profile attached)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Your issue is not related to calibration but possibly due to subpixels arragement and poor OS implementation (integer scale of QHD 27″ dpi)

Eco-Max
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, it may be..(I have no idea!)…but what is the solution?

Vincent
    Participant

Oh, it’s a 32″ QHD, so no UI scalling issues. I read it in a wrong way. Anyway:
    -Get a 27″ QHD
    -Get a 27″ 5k
    -Get a  27″ UHD

Eco-Max
    Participant

Eh…  Reason why I bought at 32″ is that I need a large (pref long) monitor. I dont need a 27″…

Vincent
    Participant

A 32″ QHD has slightly less dpi than a 23″ FullHD.
    A 32″ UHD needs a non integer scalling in OS, about 125% UI scalling from a 27″ QHD. It is not as “easy” as 150% of a 27″ UHD or  2x scaling of an apple 27″ 5k.

So try a 32″UHD which are more expensive (1.25x 27″ QHD dpi), or an Apple 27″ 5k screen or an apple 32″ 6k screen (2x 27″ QHD dpi). If OS scaling on a 32″ UHD causes blur try another OS.

———-

Anyway this is not related to calibration, it’s about monitor itself and OS scaling (on high dpi monitors). Try to go to a big store (if covid restrictions allow it in your country) and try those resolutions at suggested OS UI scaling. See them by yourself and if you have a macOS laptop ask store to plug it and set that OS scaling.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Vincent.

Eco-Max
    Participant

If I understand you correctly, this is another way of saying I cant use the 32″ Samsung monitor I just bought?

Vincent
    Participant

without getting an instant headache due to the glare, unclear fonts and perhaps flicker?

You said that, other people have no these issues on 32″ QHD (although IMHO >= 96dpi is desired). Also try to get a matte screen instead of glossy like Apple screens.

Eco-Max
    Participant
    1. This shows that at least one other person had identical issues: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/samsung-q-dot-c32h711qeu-32-mojave-and-sapphire-rx580-8gb.2188109/
    2.  Sorry. I am not a trust-fund kid, nor do I like to support the consumer society more than I have to. I am not likely to go and buy a new screen, when theres 1000s of used for sale. I would prefer to make this one work.

…Anyone who have a suggestion how to do that?

Vincent
    Participant

I’ll say that a last time. Your issues are not related to calibration.

Regarding poor text rendering at 92 dpi (32″ QHD) on macOS you can try the app suggested in your link, ResXtreme, I’ve not tested it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS