iMac crushed blacks

Home Forums General Discussion iMac crushed blacks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kiran mistry
    Participant

Hi, I know this topic has been covered in the past but I don’t seem to be able to resolve the problem, wondering if anyone has found a solution.

iMac 2017, with OS11.2.3.

I’ve created screen profile using the default 2.2 gamma and single curve + matrix with BPC.

All applications colour managed by the system are showing deep shadows crushed to black.  Independently managed apps like Capture One and Photoshop have no problems showing good smooth details in deep shadows.

I am trying to use Affinity’s suite of applications which uses the system to colour manage and it is problematic.

Any help really appreciated, thanks.

Kiran

Vincent
    Participant

Run a calibration on default settings in DisplayCAL and check resulting TRC. Looks like the old issue with macOS faulty color management engine.

kiran mistry
    Participant

Hi Vincent

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse my ignorance but what is TRC?

Thanks, Kiran

Vincent
    Participant

TRC is tone response curve. After calibration (with grey calibration applied) monitor is measured so see how it behaves, then stored in an ICC profile.
    TRC is how brightness grows as you move from 0 input to 255 input. Call it “Gamma” but it may have a different non constant value for each grey.
    Apple CM engine is very simplified because all desktop is color managed and it needs to be fast so it makes a lot of assumtions and do not like complex (but valid) profiles. Check TRC near black vs ideal TRC in default profile for that display.
    People reporting issues like yours are usually caused by this, Apple CM not supporting a valid profile due to its simplifications. Adobe apps use their own engine so no issues there,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS