If I calibrated perfect RGB balaced scale, I will have all color perfect, right?

Home Forums General Discussion If I calibrated perfect RGB balaced scale, I will have all color perfect, right?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Huy Le
    Participant

In this calibration subject still confuse me more and more. So, what exactly i am doing? In my opinion, we have 3 channels of primary color include red, green, blue and everything will generated base on these. So I think my mission is calibrate how 256 values (3 channels are 768) of each channel match stardard value (Maybe it’s called RBG balace scale). If it’s right, what is profile testchart with color patch do in this case?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Huy Le.

Vincent
    Participant

RGB balance perfect just means that grey has the same color “tone” as white. So…NO, it does not mean your display shows content as expected.

You’ll need too one of these:

-an ICC profile that describes display behavior in its current state (mostly primaries coordinates & nominal TRC/gamma) and an application that can actually make use of that display profile

OR

-if content is supposed to be sRGB/Rec709 and no ICC aware application is available for your tasks, you need that your R G & B primaries match sRGB ones. This can be done with saturation controls, HW calibration, factory colospace emulation, a lut box… etc.

Huy Le
    Participant

Thanks for you answer, I have more one question. I try to test capable of my i1 display+displaycal by increased my monitor oversaturated in red, blue, green (so I have clipping). Then I calibrated in this condition using setting:
    White point 6500k
    Brightness: As measure
    Tone curve: 2.2
    1148 patch test chart, profile high quality
    Final result I still have clipping and oversaturation, but 98% srgb. I checked verification with sRGB IEC61996-2.1 (tick and untick “simulation profile”), I have report so good with match everything (actual It was not, everything heavily oversaturated).
    The same result when I change hue of primary color in my monitor setting.
    So, calibration by Displaycal cant fix issue oversaturation and clipping (maybe wrong hue) of moniter or I had done something wrong

Vincent
    Participant

If your monitor has RGB gains in 0-100 range with default values about “50” and you raise it too much it can cause that kind of clipping.

Do not modify gains that way. Lower other gains proportionaly. YOu can visually check some white clipping patterns in MS paint (it need to be a  non color managed app), like lagom’s or whatever other sample images you want.
    Once you hate set white to your desired value and have no cliping, proceed with DisplayCal calibration as usual

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS