i1pro 3 already supported?

Home Forums General Discussion i1pro 3 already supported?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

I’ve looked into the documentation of argyllcms latest updates and it states that the firmware supports the i1pro3. Does this mean the spectrometer automatically works in Displaycal too?

Thanks

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Yes, the support has been added in Argyll 2.2.0, better to use the last release, but I see that DisplayCAL don’t make colorimeter correction when I switch Argyll to 2.2.0 or newer. I hope, this will work in command line, I haven’t tried. But my i1Paint (i1Pro 3 Plus, some different device with large aperture) works correctly in spot mode only (emission, projector and print), I think due to its limited proprietary functions. I haven’t tried normal i1Pro 3 / i1Pro 3 Plus, but I’m sure that Graeme doesn’t lie on Argyll help page. Beware, i1Pro 3 Plus is specific device targeted to measure textured materials, it has serious noise on black displays, so standard i1Pro 3 is better here.

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Thank you!

So it’s not possible to make a ccss correction with the i1pro 3?

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Roman, I made test of my i1Paint device, it has limited functionality, but i1Pro 3 [Plus] Basic/Photo/Publish devices are able to measure displays. The difference is here: i1Pro 3 seems to be good for full calibration/profiling process, while i1Pro 3 Plus (that is noisy in darks) is good for CCSS measurements only, cause for CCSS it measures bright red, green, blue and white, there’re no dark patches in this short set.

SirMaster
    Participant

Thank you!

You can make CCSS with i1 Pro 3.  ArgyIICMS fully supports the i1 Pro 3.

salzrat
    Participant

Hi,

I have an i1pro Rev B. Since i1 Pro 3 is now supported in argyll, does it make sense to trade the i1pro 1 against the i1pro 3?

The i1pro 1 doesn’t get calibration anymore, and I recently had quite a mismatch between an (also older) i1 display pro  and my i1 pro, and I don’t know which to trust…

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

SirMaster
    Participant

Hi,

I have an i1pro Rev B. Since i1 Pro 3 is now supported in argyll, does it make sense to trade the i1pro 1 against the i1pro 3?

The i1pro 1 doesn’t get calibration anymore, and I recently had quite a mismatch between an (also older) i1 display pro  and my i1 pro, and I don’t know which to trust…

DisplayCAL may support it if you manually update ArgyIICMS.

However as someone else mentioned, creating a meter profile seems to be broken when using a newer ArgyIICMS version.

But it’s not really a problem.  Just use the ccxxmake program from the latest ArgyllCMS to make and install your ccmx or ccss, and then use that with your colorimeter (probably i1D3) with DisplayCAL.

So you don’t really “need” the i1 Pro 3 to work directly with DisplayCAL.

salzrat
    Participant

I have updated Argyll to 2.3.0, and have created meter profile with the i1pro without any issue. Do you mean it could be broken only for the i1pro 3?

My question was rather whether I should expect a noticeable advantage from a new i1pro3 over a well tended i1pro rev B (for colorimeter correction)? As I said, when creating a CCSS with the i1pro, and comparing the whitepoint measured then with the i1d3 vs. the i1pro, I get quite a serious mismatch (7 delta E). I was wondering whether it’s more likely that the i1d3 has drifted (it’s about 10 years old), or the i1pro (it’s even older)…

SirMaster
    Participant

In my experience CCSS failed to be generated inside DisplayCAL when using a newer version of ArgyllCMS, but if it works for you, great.

Both should not really drift much even over a long time, so it’s hard to say which is more accurate at this point.

If you want to trust the i1Pro, then you could of course create a CCMX instead.  They should match readings after that then.

salzrat
    Participant

Yes, that’s what I did, but ultimately it’s just hiding the error one of the two instruments makes 🙂 Is there any way to have an idea which of the instruments gives the error (short of getting an expensive reference spectro)?

SirMaster
    Participant

No, I mean without a known reference you can’t make any distinction.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS