i1Display Studio vs PRO

Home Forums Help and Support i1Display Studio vs PRO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Pete W
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am completely new to calibration. Trying to decide whether should I go for i1Display STUDIO or PRO. I am hobby photographer, using 2018 macbook pro connected to my 27” LG external display. I am not planning to buy anytime soon HARDWARE calibrated monitor. I just don’t wanna pay extra for something that I not gonna use or have a  benefit.
    I read that both units are hardware identical, only difference is Xrite software and speed.

If I use DisplayCAL, is there still any difference in the speed? Or anything else I should consider?

I would also like to calibrate my 4k 65” TV with that unit..

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Pete

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

Looks like you don’t have much to gain from a pro over studio, unless you want to future proof.

Pete W
    Participant

Thanks for reply MW.

so that means, only advantage of PRO is faster calibration and hardware calibration?
    Can I use STUDIO to calibrate TV as well?

Vincent
    Participant

Can I use STUDIO to calibrate TV as well?

Some TVs have HW cal but usually this requires Calman ($)… and the i1displaypro

For TVs in general, yes of course, you cant use i1Display Studio… but you’ll be limited to OSD controls. If your TV has only RGB gains and a gamma control… that’s all (unless you use it with a computer as a monitor for all apps). You may find HCFR more useful for that task (ArgyllCMS derived work).
    Usually TV should have aturation controls in 6axis for P3 Tvs and 10-20 grey point adjustments in RGB gain to fix brightness & tint on grey, othrwise… may be you can do nothing after fixing whitepoint.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

I’ve tried some old Calman (~5.x) with Sony x950g Android-based TV. This was practicaly unworkable. Old Calman non-automated calibration process is made for TVs with some specific settings, but x950g doesn’t have these settins. And.. 10-point manual correction (=1DLUT, like videocard LUT) simply doesn’t work, bug had found. May be, new automated Calman will work with this Sony model, as Sony declares Calman support.

Pete W
    Participant

Thank you for reply guys. I got Sony 900 series as well, which should support calibration according to Sony support page.
    So it looks like I might have more use for PRO compared to STUDIO..

Vincent
    Participant

Calman Home for Sony is about $150. It is not free like ArgyllCMS software. Also AFAIK there is no demo version for try it a few days, it won’t measure.

Price of all goes > 2x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS