i1D3 diffuser mode

Home Forums Help and Support i1D3 diffuser mode

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

Does anyone know how to get the diffuser mode on the i1D3 to work with DisplayCAL for projector measurements?

I can have the meter with the diffuser on and I try to re-initialize the device etc, but when I try to calibrate, DisplayCAL just gives me an error that the meter is in the wrong mode or that it’s not getting a good reading.

I don’t see how to tell DisplayCAL to change the mode.

When I use the i1D3 with HCFR, when I start a new session, it properly detects which mode the i1D3 is in and selects the correct reading mode in the Argyll screen automatically, so I know the i1D3 is working correctly.

I am probably missing something simple here.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The diffuser is only for ambient measurements.

SirMaster
    Participant

Oh wow.

I thought that you could use the diffuser to read from the lens, but yeah, I check the x-rite documentation and they only mention ambient mode with the diffuser and for projectors they only mention reading off the screen.

Thanks for setting me straight on that.

SirMaster
    Participant

Is there any way to make DisplayCAL read normal spot measurements in ambient mode?

I can use HCFR to read in ambient mode and it seems to work well with a projector facing at the lens especially when trying to read really dark patterns.

I tried adding -a to the spotread command arguments in Advanced but that didn’t work, DisplayCAL will refuse to run measurements with the diffuser in place.

Do you really think it’s not worth it or not possible to use the meter to profile a projector in ambient mode?

As I understand it people use the i1D3 in other software like CalMAN and LightSpace to read a projector lens via ambient mode with good results.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2909646-i1d3-rev-vs-rev-b-low-light-handling.html#post54590604

Is such a method something you could see as allowing DisplayCAL to do?

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Argyll’s dispread has no ambient reading mode.

SirMaster
    Participant

Argyll’s dispread has no ambient reading mode.

Hey Florian,

Just a heads up.

I communicated with Graeme about this and he said there is no real reason not to allow his tools to support ambient reading mode.  He hadn’t added this mode before because measuring from the lens means you don’t factor in the spectral characteristics of the screen surface.

However, he agreed that for trying to calibrate and profile projectors such as JVC with very high contrast that you may not get great readings from dark patches as the luminance level is below what even colorimeters like the i1d3 can handle.

He said he will be including ambient reading mode in the next release of dispcal, dispread and ccxxmake since it is very easy to add.

Hopefully you can then also add the use of the ambient mode in calibration and profiling in DisplayCAL.  I know at least a couple people other than me who would really want to try using this method to generate 3DLUT for our projectors and I am here speaking on all of our behalf.

If this is something you would be willing to include support for at that time, that would be incredible!

I also wonder if there is anything somewhat simple that could be done in order to measure the difference between the raw projector lens vs. the screen like a “correction” in order to create a profile correction that would then factor in the screen’s characteristics into the final profile?

We were planning on profiling the colorimeter by pointing the spectrometer at the screen and then the colorimeter at the lens, but at least the way I think about the logic of that, I am not sure that it makes complete sense as for taking the screen’s affect into account.

But also from what I understand more experienced certified calibrators use their commercial tools to do things such as this by profiling and creating a 3DLUT by reading off the lens, and then “somehow” factoring in a screen correction afterwards.

Maybe with all your knowledge and expertise you could formulate a method to do something like this in DisplayCA to factor in a screen correction into the profile.

As always, thanks again for all your help and consideration.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS