i1 Display 2 + normal 8-bit TN=Off scale!!!

Home Forums Help and Support i1 Display 2 + normal 8-bit TN=Off scale!!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

PippoAACC
    Participant

Hi, I am new here so I might be asking something that’s a known issue:

I just got an old i1 Display 2 from the gretag days, and test-run it on a normal, 8-bit, non-wide-gamut led laptop. If I profile to native white point everything is fine, but if I dare to set a white point, eg d65, I get a completely wrong and very strong pink tone. Reporting uncalibrated state reports in fact an out-of-this world 27 of DeltaE, clearly a wrong reading. Same behaviour on a non-wide-gamut MVA Led and on a Dell IPS Wide Gamut (3007WFP-HC). On the Dell, I get more realistic readings running through a profile but from a similar screen (2407WFP, as the WFP3007 has no available profiles). But the whole thing seems a bit extreme to me. Any bell rings?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the i1Display2 is indeed an old device, it comes from a time where CRTs were still a thing, and LCDs had a CCFL backlight. Nowadays, CRTs are basically gone, and LCDs have LED (usually white, sometimes RG phosphor, sometimes RGB) backlight. The i1Display2 will not work well on them unless corrected, but one other problem with the i1Display2 is that even in its heyday, inter-intstrument agreement wasn’t very good, so a correction that works well for one specific i1Display2 may not work well with another (requiring you to have access to a spectrometer to create an accurate correction).

That said, you can still try to use a correction from the online corrections database if you can find one for your particular display. Otherwise, you’re best off not trying to correct the whitepoint with the colorimeter (and probably need to consider upgrading to a better colorimeter, i.e. ColorMunki Display or i1 Display Pro).

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS