I want to Calibrate my NEC PA272 as my reference for DaVinci Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support I want to Calibrate my NEC PA272 as my reference for DaVinci Resolve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Andre Szyszkowski Jr
    Participant

I want to Calibrate my NEC PA272 as my reference for DaVinci Resolve.

What are the best steps to take to get this monitor to where I need to to be to get the best reference for Web output (and/or Rec 709).

When calibrated using the resolve preset with a white point at 120cd/m, I end up with an image that looks solid color wise, but the gamma maybe it off along with the saturation.

The image has lift blacks it seems, appearing rather flat, and thought there is some color and that looks rather correct, the saturation seems lower than it should be.

I would really appreciate advice with settings from beginning to end if possible.  Thank you anyone for your time and effort in the matter.

I would love to fork over the 3K for an FSI monitor but I simply do not have that kind of cash right now.

Vincent
    Participant

I want to Calibrate my NEC PA272 as my reference for DaVinci Resolve.

What are the best steps to take to get this monitor to where I need to to be to get the best reference for Web output (and/or Rec 709).

Use NEC Spectraview II or Basiccolor Display to calibrate monitor internal LUTs to sRGB. You can also get a native gamut D65 calibration for other purposes (and use software LUT3D like resolve or madvr to get Rec709 and whatever gamma you want from native gamut.

When calibrated using the resolve preset with a white point at 120cd/m, I end up with an image that looks solid color wise, but the gamma maybe it off along with the saturation.

The image has lift blacks it seems, appearing rather flat, and thought there is some color and that looks rather correct, the saturation seems lower than it should be.

A verification report or to upload profile will help people to help you. Your descriptions are too generic.

Andre Szyszkowski Jr
    Participant

Hello Vincent,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I am not sure what is too generic about my post.  It’s not a specific problem in the process I am having necessarily.

I have an NEC PA272 Monitor.  Due to recent production costs and upgrades to camera and computer gear I am a bit tapped out cash wise and these are the tools I currently have.  That said, I would rather continue to save for an FSI monitor than invest too much further into getting gear specific to this monitor, as the probe is specific to it, and it may not be the best tool for the job to begin with.

So my request, if possible, is what would be the best way to get this monitor to a decent place for grading in Resolve?

I have DaVinci Resolve Studio, a loaded 2014 MacBook Pro, The Blackmagic Mini Monitor and currently a Spyder4Pro Colorimeter.

What is the process and settings that would get me to a calibration suitable as possible within what I have to use in grading for video deliverables primary displayed on the web.

The monitor has a sRGB setting in its OSD.

What setting should I use in the Instrument and Calibration Page (are there any corrections I need)?

What settings make sense on the Calibration and Profiling pages?

Do I create a LUT or do I perform one calibration and then go to the LUT creator and adjust it from there (as I have heard elsewhere)? And what settings there?

I apologize for the generality, but my knowledge isn’t so specific, I come from Cameraland traditionally working as a DP, but have over there years worked in Post in Editing and Color, originally to better serve my Cinematography, but have found a real joy in this as well.  Yes, there are probably major gaps in knowledge, but that’s why I am here asking for assistance.

Again I appreciate the time anyone is able to provide me to help better my workflow, but more so my understanding.

Vincent
    Participant

-your NEC has HW calibration features, it wil be nice to use them to get as close as you want to whitepoint & brightness. It is not free, you have to pay for it (SV2 or Basiccolor, unless SV2 versions of yor monitor because you pay for it in advance). Otherwise you’ll have to use RGB gain in OSD… etc

-your Spyder is not an accurate instrument. Since you have a NEC PA, it would be wise to buy an i1DisplayPro.
    Unless you have access to a spectrophotomerter to correct that Spyder to PA backlight, accuracy is not granted at all because of poor inter instrument agreement of spyders. Save about $200 and get an i1DisplayPro first. If you can’t, you can try to use RGBLED/widegamut LED bundled mode for yor spyder (upper right combo in calibration tab)… but that mode is no even close to actual LED NEC PA backlight… so good results are not granted at all.

Now you have (sort of) an instrument, a correction for it to measure your backlight. Set as close as you can  your monitor (if you can, it that options are avaliable to whatever OSD mode you use in monitor) to white point & brightness. Once you have it, just read the documentation:

3D LUT creation workflow for Resolve

Usually people use native gamut for that kind of displays (instead of sRGB OSD mode/ sRGB HW calibration), then create several LUT3D depending on actual target, like “Rec709” or “P3-D65″… or even how would a video look in non color managed apps in an Android AMOLED phone.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hello Vincent,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I am not sure what is too generic about my post.  It’s not a specific problem in the process I am having necessarily.

I named “generic” to what I qouted before:

I end up with an image that looks solid color wise, but the gamma maybe it off along with the saturation.

It’s… too generic. If you feel that color/gamma/whatever is off, do a report with DisplayCAL (a measurement report). Then attach it here so people can see  “actual data”.
    Just keep in mind that sice you use an Spyder… actual measured data could be not even close to “real data”. Some users with high end measurement gear (JETI spectrophotometer) reported up to 4 – 5dE error for Spyder 4 & 5 measuring a PA242W which uses the same kind of backlight as yours.

I’ll try to get an i1DisplayPro FIRST.

Andre Szyszkowski Jr
    Participant

Gotcha Vincent.  Appreciate the reply.

I’ll see if I can source the x-rite probe.  I have read similar reports.  Hopefully that helps, but it still does not address my concern if I am am making the correct decisions in workflow/setting within DisplayCal itself.  I will continue to research.

Andre Szyszkowski Jr
    Participant

-your NEC has HW calibration features, it wil be nice to use them to get as close as you want to whitepoint & brightness. It is not free, you have to pay for it (SV2 or Basiccolor, unless SV2 versions of yor monitor because you pay for it in advance). Otherwise you’ll have to use RGB gain in OSD… etc

-your Spyder is not an accurate instrument. Since you have a NEC PA, it would be wise to buy an i1DisplayPro.
    Unless you have access to a spectrophotomerter to correct that Spyder to PA backlight, accuracy is not granted at all because of poor inter instrument agreement of spyders. Save about $200 and get an i1DisplayPro first. If you can’t, you can try to use RGBLED/widegamut LED bundled mode for yor spyder (upper right combo in calibration tab)… but that mode is no even close to actual LED NEC PA backlight… so good results are not granted at all.

Now you have (sort of) an instrument, a correction for it to measure your backlight. Set as close as you can  your monitor (if you can, it that options are avaliable to whatever OSD mode you use in monitor) to white point & brightness. Once you have it, just read the documentation:

3D LUT creation workflow for Resolve

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” src=”https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-lut-creation-workflow-for-resolve/embed/#?secret=ZWQsWBATWF&#8221; data-secret=”ZWQsWBATWF” width=”474″ height=”299″ title=”“3D LUT creation workflow for Resolve” — DisplayCAL” frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

Usually people use native gamut for that kind of displays (instead of sRGB OSD mode/ sRGB HW calibration), then create several LUT3D depending on actual target, like “Rec709” or “P3-D65″… or even how would a video look in non color managed apps in an Android AMOLED phone.

Thanks I will look into all this further along with sourcing the x-rite.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Another thing to keep in mind: The NEC PA272 has a contrast ratio of (only) about 1000:1, which is not ideal for video grading (EBU recommends at least 2000:1, i.e. black below 0.05 and white of at least 100 cd/m2, for a “grade 1” display [1]). A BT.1886 calibration or 3D LUT will give you a response that is very close to the sRGB tone response, by design. If you want to mimic a response that’s closer to what BT.1886 would produce on a higher contrast display, increase black output offset on the 3D LUT tab – or go with a “legacy”, all output offset gamma 2.x curve.

[1] https://tech.ebu.ch/publications/tech3320

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS