I could use some thoughts on the NEC PA271Q

Home Forums General Discussion I could use some thoughts on the NEC PA271Q

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Darkmatter
    Participant

Does anyone know how well the NEC PA271Q preforms in real life conditions? Screen brightness and color uniformity are important.

Also, how are they for having stuck or dead pixels? I hear they have the same panel as the much pricier Eizo 27″ CG2730, but I’ve heard people say that they have more issues with stuck or dead pixels. My guess is that Eizo gets the top tier ones, and NEC gets the next level down.

My concern in the long term, is that either OLED or, probably more likely, mini LED’s will be the next step in monitor tech for people who don’t have $5000+ to spend on a monitor. Since we have no idea when those prices will come down, or if they’ll ever fix the OLED burn in problem, I’m somewhat reluctant to spend all that money on the Eizo right now, but I need a monitor right now. lol

I could use some thoughts from anyone who has the NEC PA271Q, or have worked with them.

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

Does anyone know how well the NEC PA271Q preforms in real life conditions?

Spectraview II uncorrected issues related to caibration. Missing proper EDR. Chain applying a matrix correction on top of wrong EDR from mva.pl polish forum.
    That means that compared to Eizo CN you cannot hack the EDR to support WLED PFS backlight. It’s asoftware issue, maybe there are some IP issues to apply the proper EDR. Using a licensed version of Calman accurte HW calibration by user may be performed, check compability with PA NECs. Eizo CGs support it , at least CG-X verison.

Screen brightness and color uniformity are important.

Superb.

Also, how are they for having stuck or dead pixels? I hear they have the same panel as the much pricier Eizo 27″ CG2730, but I’ve heard people say that they have more issues with stuck or dead pixels. My guess is that Eizo gets the top tier ones, and NEC gets the next level down.

AFAIK both are ISO 13406-2 Class II : limited dead pixels warranty.
    PA271Q equivalent is CG279X, both have LUT3D although CG2730 use the same panel type

My concern in the long term, is that either OLED or, probably more likely, mini LED’s will be the next step in monitor tech for people who don’t have $5000+ to spend on a monitor. Since we have no idea when those prices will come down, or if they’ll ever fix the OLED burn in problem, I’m somewhat reluctant to spend all that money on the Eizo right now, but I need a monitor right now. lol

CS2731, IPS, lut-matrix-lut, 1000euro, superb uniformity, no software issues. Also software is free.

If you want to rely on factory caibration you may risk with PA271Q. Since grey a*b* range should be OK (it’s a PA) you can fine tune whitepoint with RGB gains in DisplayCAL and make a custom profile without grey calibration (all calibration tab settings to native/as measured).

I could use some thoughts from anyone who has the NEC PA271Q, or have worked with them.

Thanks

Check LuLa forum or mva.pl forum to read about user made calibration issues.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Vincent.

Darkmatter
    Participant

That’s it. I surrender.

/waves white flag

CG2730 it is.

“Dear bank account. Please forgive me for what I am about to do.”

Vincent
    Participant

Do you need 1500:1? You can save 40% going to 1000:1 and keep an Eizo Coloredge.
    CG2730 attached colorimeter has limited functionality with Color Navigator, like no validation. I mean, you are paying extra price for 1500:1 and only that (ok, marginally better P3 red coverage). If that is worthly, all green, go & enjoy it (although cost-benefit CG279X is more interesting).

Darkmatter
    Participant

Hrm… I’ll have to think about that. Since I’ve never had an IPS that did 1500:1 or probably any monitor that did 1500:1, I wonder what the difference would be visually compared to a 1000:1 monitor?

I’ve never had a VA panel, so I couldn’t compare, and unfortunately, I live somewhere where I can’t just drive 20min to a store to see the difference. 40% is a big difference in $, and I do already have the i1Display Pro…

Thanks for all the advice Vincent. It’s been a big help.

Greg

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Darkmatter
    Participant

I talked to Eizo. Very friendly. Ended up ordering a CS2731-BK. They said that since I had an i1D Pro, there wasn’t a lot of point in getting the other one. More or less the same monitor, just no calibrator built in I guess.

It wasn’t terribly pricey either. Maybe for a 1440p 27″ regular monitor, but not for a photo editing one.

Thanks for all your help Vincent. I’m sure I’ll love the Eizo! 🙂

DM

Vincent
    Participant

CN > preferences > compensation = no compensation to use RG_phosphor GB-LED EDR, if you wish to match DisplayCAL readings.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Sorry Vincent, for a minute you lost me there with the “CN,” but I looked above and I’m guessing you mean Eizo’s Color Manager?

So you’re saying that, once I get that monitor, I should check that to “no compensation?”

BTW, since I’m sure others will come here at some point with a similar line of reasoning, I’ll post how much I love my new Eizo. 🙂

Thanks again Vincent. I know Florian has been busy, and you’ve been really amazing with helping people all this time!

I don’t know if you get much more then the typical “Thanks!” or “Thanks for your help” but I just wanted to take the time to say that you’ve been a massive help to me.

DM

MW
    Participant

Looks like a nice display. Enjoy it!

Vincent
    Participant

Sorry Vincent, for a minute you lost me there with the “CN,” but I looked above and I’m guessing you mean Eizo’s Color Manager?

So you’re saying that, once I get that monitor, I should check that to “no compensation?”

According to Eizo’s manual “no compensation”=apply EDR, GB-LED EDR (so you can compare to other tools). And using default settings means generic matrix for THAT model and a generic i1d3.
    Since i1d3 are not all equal (but firmware data with custom spectral sensivities are accurate per device or batch) we have the same issues as if you use CCMX correction from other people.

So unless CS2731 is a WLED PFS, no  compensation (RG_phosohor EDR) is adviced.
    If CS2731 is a WLED PFS there is no correction in Color Navigator for it… and that is an issue although you may try to replace files with the HP ones from Lightspace or HP software. In NEC Spectraview II you cannot do that accoding to info in mva.pl since tehy apply a chain correction matrix to EDR for PA271Q. But color navigator has that feature , to configure what correction is applied.
    I had not measure CS2731 or CS2420 and I’ve not seen spectral distribution samples of them so IDNK if they are GB-LED or not.

It’s a shame that we are in 2021 and Color Navigator has no WLED PFS support. New CGs are WLED PFS , sure about that, but built-in colorimeter is matrix corrected on factory for that backlight so you can use them out of the box… at least for calibrating (CN refuses to validate with CG2420 or CG2730 built in probe , yes, nonsense… but that’s we have)

Darkmatter
    Participant

For a company like Eizo especially, you’re right, that is a tad crazy.

But, hey, we still have Microsoft’s idea of “Color Management” (seriously, did they name it that as a joke?) in 2021, and look at how many computers use that OS. *shrug*

Clearly, to Nvidia (until recently, although I’m still waiting on a real dither option…) and Microsoft, colour isn’t a priority.  But the same could be said of most monitor companies since most are 8bit. I guess it makes sense in a way. I’m sure calculating what colour each pixel will be based on a billion colours is more process intensive then calculating it for millions of colours, and most monitors are geared towards gamers. It’s their bread and butter after all.

I’m afraid that everyone who’s ever found their way here, is one of the “black sheep” of the family. 😉

DM

Vincent
    Participant

@Darkmatter forget what I said, unless database has been vandalized it seems it is a WLPED PFS (a way to test it is measuring 255red coordinates, should be ~P3), not a GB.LED like older CS
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/57808da1b2886c1b7c883f4985b672f8/Eizo%20CS2731%20%28ColorMunki%29%20spectral%20120cdm%20native%20gamut.ccss
    So do not use “no compensation” and rely on default correction (default CN settings, do not modify preferences) or try to replace RG_phosphor by PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.edr (worse) HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr (better) as try if it works.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Good to know Vincent. Thanks for taking the time to take a look at that. 🙂

OH, 2 things since you’ll see this reply (I hope.)   🙂

1. Do you use Chrome to translate mva.pl or is there an option on the page for English? Doesn’t matter which. I was just wondering.
    2.  You mentioned in another thread a while ago about having a fix for a problem that I also have. I probably won’t have it with the new monitor, but in case I ever get it again, I wanted to know the fix. This current monitor often comes out of sleep, or screensaver, with the screen compressed to the top left section, likely representing 1080p. You have to move the cursor over the “active” area at the top left to get it to revert to the proper resolution. How do you prevent this? I’ve never run into this issue before.

Thanks, and pre-thanks for any help you can offer with the above!

Pre-thanks because, lets face it, at this point, we both want this whole topic line to die a thousand deaths. 😉

DM

Vincent
    Participant
    1. No, I use Firefox with google translator for whole web page. I do not use chrome. https://translate.google.com/ and paste mva.pl thread URL. For login, post buttons I use actual URL.
    2. IDNK, I’ve not experienced such issue.

Marcin Czornyj Kaluza
    Participant

Does anyone know how well the NEC PA271Q preforms in real life conditions?

Spectraview II uncorrected issues related to caibration. Missing proper EDR. Chain applying a matrix correction on top of wrong EDR from mva.pl polish forum.
    That means that compared to Eizo CN you cannot hack the EDR to support WLED PFS backlight. It’s asoftware issue, maybe there are some IP issues to apply the proper EDR. Using a licensed version of Calman accurte HW calibration by user may be performed, check compability with PA NECs. Eizo CGs support it , at least CG-X verison.

NEC PA271Q is factory calibrated in a much more precise way than can be achived with SpectraView II and i1Display Pro (even with custom .edr). As a result the display is more accurate than a calibrator in this case, and doesn’t need external sensor – all you have to do is to use free NEC MultiProfiler software to calibrate and profile the display do a desired target. It also doesn’t need further recalibrations, as SpectraView engine processor + internal RGB and temperature sensors recalibrate the display every couple of seconds, so it is perfectly stable during whole lifespan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS