HowTo Calibrate HDR Dynamic Scene Optimiser

Home Forums Help and Support HowTo Calibrate HDR Dynamic Scene Optimiser

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

adrjork
    Participant

Hi everyone, absolute newbie here. I have a Pana FZ800 that’s an OLED HDR TV that I’d use as reference monitor in Davinci Resolve.
    I’d like to calibrate the TV with DisplayCal, X-Rite i1 Display Pro, and Davinci.
    My question: which are the correct settings in DisplayCal to calibrate this HDR TV? And how can I calibrate correctly with Dynamic Scene Optimiser on (since it can’t be turned off)?
    Thanks for your help.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My question: which are the correct settings in DisplayCal to calibrate this HDR TV? And how can I calibrate correctly with Dynamic Scene Optimiser on (since it can’t be turned off)?

I do not have this TV, but the general procedure for TVs where it is expected that the response will not be stable (like most if not all HDR TVs due to their tone mapping, dynamic backlight/OLED light and power saving features):

• (Resolve only) Make sure to use the “Resolve” preset as a base or set minimum display update delay to around 1000ms manually.
    • Disable creation of 3D LUT after profiling (on the 3D LUT tab).
    • Try a small profile (175 patches) with white level drift compensation enabled.
    • If profile self check delta E is high (above 1 for average or above 5 for peak), try to experiment with a different patch sequence (order), i.e. maximize luminance difference.
    • If that doesn’t help, try full field pattern insertion (you need ArgyllCMS 2.0.2b development snapshot for this).

Once you have a reasonable profile (self check error below the numbers above), set source colorspace to BT. 2020, set tone curve to SMPTE 2084 (roll-off), enter your display peak luminance (you can see it during interactive adjustment, or in profile information after profiling) and set mastering peak to the same value (essentially the same as clipping, but should preserve hue), set hue preservation to 100%, then create your 3D LUT. Note that the TV tone mapping will still affect what you see.

adrjork
    Participant

Thanks REALLY much for your kindness!
    I’ll surely try this flow.
    One more – and perhaps silly – question: my OLED has 12 step IRE values (a couple dedicated to near black), could them be useful in anyway for calibrating?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

my OLED has 12 step IRE values (a couple dedicated to near black), could them be useful in anyway for calibrating?

Safest to not touch them for 3D LUT calibration.

adrjork
    Participant

Ok! Thanks really a lot!

adrjork
    Participant

Hi Florian,
    now I finally have my OLED in front of me, and I’m ready to start calibrating it following your method above.
    However, before starting, just a couple of quick questions:

1. I’d do 2 different calibrations/Resolve-LUTs: one with TV set in SD (Rec.709, BT.1886), and the other with TV set in HDR (Rec.2020). Is that necessary or not?

2. In order to work in DCI-P3 in SD, should I make a third calibration set DCI-P3/BT.1886 a part?

3.Instead of Rec.709 or DCI-P3, should I make a unique calibration with NATIVE tv’s color gamut?

4. In SD mode, in my TV’s menu there is HDMI RGB Range and YCbCr set on Normal, but I can choose also FULL for both. Should I go for FULL?

5. HDMI EOTF Type and Colorimetry Type are set on AUTO. Should I specify Rec. etc. before calibrating or not?

THANKS REALLY A LOT FOR YOUR KIND HELP!!!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1. I’d do 2 different calibrations/Resolve-LUTs: one with TV set in SD (Rec.709, BT.1886), and the other with TV set in HDR (Rec.2020). Is that necessary or not?

Yes, if you want to make use of the wider color gamut (and higher peak luminance) in HDR mode, this is a necessity.

2. In order to work in DCI-P3 in SD, should I make a third calibration set DCI-P3/BT.1886 a part?

3.Instead of Rec.709 or DCI-P3, should I make a unique calibration with NATIVE tv’s color gamut?

Profiling should always be done in native gamut mode (not necessarily possible in HDR mode, depending on the options you have with the particular TV).

4. In SD mode, in my TV’s menu there is HDMI RGB Range and YCbCr set on Normal, but I can choose also FULL for both. Should I go for FULL?

Shouldn’t really matter, only thing that matters is that Resolve output matches the TV input range (DisplayCAL needs to be set to “full” or “Auto” always when going through Resolve, as Resolve controls the output levels).

5. HDMI EOTF Type and Colorimetry Type are set on AUTO. Should I specify Rec. etc. before calibrating or not?

I do not know what these options really do, so I can’t comment.

adrjork
    Participant

Yes, if you want to make use of the wider color gamut (and higher peak luminance) in HDR mode, this is a necessity.

Profiling should always be done in native gamut mode (not necessarily possible in HDR mode, depending on the options you have with the particular TV).

So, let say I’m not interested into HDR. SD only. In my TV options are: Native, Rec.709, SMPTE-C, EBU, Rec.2020, DCI-P3. If I understand correctly, my best option is set TV on NATIVE.
    So, I have 2 possibilities in my mind:

1. Making 2 calibrations: A) with Davinci set on Rec.709 and TV on NATIVE, and B) with Davinci set on DCI-P3 and TV on NATIVE again;

2. Making 2 calibrations: A) with Davinci set on Rec.709 and TV set on Rec.709 as well, and B) with Davinci set on DCI-P3 and TV set on DCI-P3 as well.

Which couple is correct?

Shouldn’t really matter, only thing that matters is that Resolve output matches the TV input range (DisplayCAL needs to be set to “full” or “Auto” always when going through Resolve, as Resolve controls the output levels).

I’m not sure to have understood… When I see TV via Davinci, if I set TV YCbCr on Normal range blacks are really black! Instead if I set range on Full blacks are grey. (RGB Normal/Full range options seem not chainging anything instead.) How can understand which is correct? Which preference in Davinci should I check?

I do not know what these options really do, so I can’t comment.

For example, Colorimetry Type options are Auto, Rec.601, Rec.709, Rec.2020. Perhaps in DCI-P3 calibration I should set manually HDMI to Rec.2020 (even if SD)? Because DCI-P3 should not being communicated via Decklink to HDMI on TV, so perhaps I should set HDMI on TV manually to Rec.2020 (that contains DCI-P3 color space). Right?

Thanks really a lot.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1. Making 2 calibrations: A) with Davinci set on Rec.709 and TV on NATIVE, and B) with Davinci set on DCI-P3 and TV on NATIVE again;

This is recommended because native gamut gives the 3D LUT the best possible starting point (least or no TV processing).

I’m not sure to have understood… When I see TV via Davinci, if I set TV YCbCr on Normal range blacks are really black! Instead if I set range on Full blacks are grey.

Output range from video card needs to match input range from TV. Either may not support all options (some TVs only support limited range input).

For example, Colorimetry Type options are Auto, Rec.601, Rec.709, Rec.2020.

Does “Auto” provide the native gamut? That would be preferable then.

adrjork
    Participant

I’m not sure to have understood… When I see TV via Davinci, if I set TV YCbCr on Normal range blacks are really black! Instead if I set range on Full blacks are grey.

Output range from video card needs to match input range from TV. Either may not support all options (some TVs only support limited range input).

Well, I’m sure my TV supports full range. I don’t know the card, but I can only suppose that a Deckilink card can support full range as well. When I tried my first calibration via Davinci Resolve, I hoped to find any spec in Project Settings to set the card in full range, but I can’t find anything…
    Anyway I tried to calibrate adopting following TV’s settings: RGB Full Range, and YCbCr Normal range (simply to avoid blacks become greys…) I don’t know if it’s right.

For example, Colorimetry Type options are Auto, Rec.601, Rec.709, Rec.2020.

Does “Auto” provide the native gamut? That would be preferable then.

I understood that this is not related to TV gamut, but is related only to HDMI: Auto means that HDMI is able to understand the gamut your card is sending. BUT! It seems that decklink mini monitor 4K is able to communicate correct gamut metadata ONLY if gamut is Rec.709 or 601. If you work with other gamut (DCI-P3 for example) it seems that decklink works fine, but you have to “force” your monitor to receive that specific gamut (in this example, DCI-P3). Here, Blackmagic specs are not very clear.
    In my first Davinci Resolve calibration I tried forcing my TV’s HDMI to Rec.709.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by adrjork.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by adrjork.

adrjork
    Participant

Dear Florian, just a very last question:
    following your steps, in Calibration tab the default settings are Chromaticy coordinates 0.3127 X and 0.3290 Y, while both White level and Tone curve are As measured.

Question is: are Chromaticy coordinates right for making both Resolve “Rec.709 gamma 2.4” and “DCI-P3 gamma 2.6” calibrations? Or should I set Chromatocy coordinates “As measured”?

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

0.3127 x and 0.3290 y (lowercase) = D65 whitepoint, the default for HD and UHD (including HDR).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS