How to search the forums for specific topics ?

Home Forums Help and Support How to search the forums for specific topics ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi there all !

today i wanted to find a search function so i can search for any topics that might have been already started. i figured since i couldn’t find an easy way to search through all the existing topics on the forums here on displaycal i should ask beforehand so i don’t end up double posting something.

should i just risk posting what i am after or is there something i’m missing (maybe a hidden search button i’m not seeing)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

look in the top right corner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

haha ! thanks Florian !

i looked several times at exactly that symbol (S) that’s supposed to be an S now that you mentioned it but for the life of me – before – i couldn’t convince myself that’s the actual search function. i thought it was an integrated shortcut for sharing on social media. that’s why i didn’t even bother clicking it 😛

to avoid confusion replace it with a classic “SEARCH”. it’s not like there’s no space left on the screen …

Florian Höch
    Administrator

“S”? That should be a magnifying glass icon. If you’re using some sort of adblock/content block, you probably need to unblock google fonts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Florian, it is true that i use ublock-origin for some sites but that isn’t true for this one. in fact i have it disabled completely for the forums at this moment and it still looks like this:

see attached screenshot !

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have no idea what that is. Definitely not the right font though. Looks like some kind of arabic letter? Are you somehow overriding website text encoding?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you somehow overriding website text encoding?

where would i do that ? gnome 3.32 – x – firefox 67 ? gnome tweaks ? firefox settings ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In page properties you can see the encoding that Firefox uses. Should be UTF-8.

Maybe clearing the cache will help?

Anonymous
    Inactive

view page info > shows it’s indeed UTF-8

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What’s the preferred website language(s) set to in Firefox prefs?

Anonymous
    Inactive

ah i figured it out ! now it displays as intended 🙂

prefered webiste language was set to en-us then en by default. the trick was that i had enabled latin fonts > nimbus fammily to all but then i checked “allow websites to choose their own fonts”. that did the trick. only now i don’t like the default font 🙂

you should still replace the current magnifying glass symbol to a plain “SEARCH” that way it won’t be confusing to people with different font settings 😛

sorry for the long sausage of a conversation.

is there a way to mark a solution in a thread so it shows at the beginning of the original-post ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

“Allow websites to choose their own fonts” should be always enabled. Modern websites all use “dingbat” fonts for icons and such to get nice crisp icons and text when zooming (or for HiDPI).

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’ll take your word for it. altough i didn’t notice any difference on my 4k tv and i have 200% scaling enabled under gnome settings.

maybe it’s a zoom and pinch type situation for the mobile experience but for desktop what i use as default or my custom fonts looks the same to me on a 40 inch 4k Samsung TV.

it must be the kick-ass way this beautifull software calibrated my display/colors.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Depends on the site of course. But the “genericons” font (which is used for certain icons like the search one but not exclusively) is quite common.

If you really must override a font you should do it on a per-site and per-markup basis, using something like the “stylus” Add-On (a fork of “stylish”, but without analytics concerns), although that requires some knowledge of CSS and careful choice of selectors.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS