How to quantify diff b/w non-calibrated and calibrated?

Home Forums Help and Support How to quantify diff b/w non-calibrated and calibrated?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tdominey
    Participant

Hi all –

I’m testing both a SpyderX and ColorMunki Display on a late 2017 iMac (Retina).

I would like to output reports showing…

1. Accuracy of the default ICC profile from Apple (“iMac”)
    2. Accuracy of the SpyderX
    3. Accuracy of the ColorMunki

I think I can generate reports like these in the Verification tab, but I’m lost on what to select and use. Interested to see how much of a difference there is between the factory profile and the profiles generated by the aforementioned hardware.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1-Verification profile with simulation profile “factory display profile for mac” (whatever name it is, or a synthetic profile equivalent to P3 gamut D65 white 2.2 gamma, although taht gamma is not exactly TRC in default display profile from apple), “use simulation profile as display profile” cheched.
    Use munki as measurement device, use CCSS correction for WLED PFS phosphor P3 mac (I assume you have on of these), It’s bundled with DisplayCAL for i1d3 colorimeters.

For 2 & 3 you’ll need a true referenece device to compare against, a JETI or one of these expensive spectrophoptometers which I may guess that you do not have (otherwise comparison is a little like “cheating”). Hence you have to use the better device you have as “reference”: the i1d3 munki.

2- So, set as default display profile the profile you made with SpyderX (with DisplayCAL or datacolor software : make sure to use PFS phosphor correction in vendor softw)
    Open DisplayCAL, measurement report, all simulation options unchecked.
    Use munki as measurement device, use CCSS correction for WLED PFS phosphor P3 mac (I assume you have on of these), It’s bundled with DisplayCAL for i1d3 colorimeters.

3- set as default display profile the profile you made with Munki (with DisplayCAL or Xrite software : make sure to use PFS phosphor correction in vendor softw)
    Open DisplayCAL, measurememt report, all simulation options unchecked.

You are validating IF PROFILE MATCHES DISPLAY, that’s all, although looking  at a*b* in greys you can check also grey calibration (which is the only thing you can do with a mac display), or by checking in resulting HTML repoprt to validate calibration (assumes that reference a*b* fro greys is 0, perfect grey)

Also since you are on macos and due to its faulty and extremely limited color management on desktop (blame Apple) you may be advised to use simplified settings in calibration & profile in DisplayCAL. If you agree in not correcting whitepoint, it’s expected that measured whitepoint in report will be out of daylight locus but that will be your choice, not device’s or DisplayCAL’s.

You may want to compare SpyderX profile measured with itself. This way you can validate if grey (a*b* values for grey) measured with the same rules that make that profile & calibration is neutral (a*b* close to 0) after calibration. It’s like saying “if my spyderx was perfect (which is not), has Datacolor/DisplayCAL corrected the grey properly with MY current settings?”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS