How to combine.

Home Forums Help and Support How to combine.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Question:

If I create a patch-set using the ‘current profile’ in the patch-editor, then leave all the patch editor settings ‘as is’ – then add some images, will the result be exactly the same as the ‘current profile’ PLUS the patches collected from the images?

In other words, are the settings shown in the patch editor (when I select the ‘current profile’) the same settings that were used to create that profile originally?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When you tell me to input 1000 patches, what exactly does this do?

That’s simply the amount of patches it’ll generate.

Does it take a subset of the original profile to re-profile […]

No.

Shouldn’t I be using the full 11000 patchset plus the imputted colors from the images?

I thought your aim was to decrease the total amount of patches by targeting specific problem areas?

Still want to know what\where the 1000 patches is coming from.

It’s just a reasonable baseline, that’s all.

I’m assuming that I can raise the Iterative patches (As I do the slider in the profiling tab) to increase the sampling… But what about those other settings you gave me. Do they also need to be raised in some proportional way?

It may make sense to raise them as well but only to a certain extent – e.g. with dark region emphasis, neutral and single channel steps should not be raised above 121 because steps will no longer be distinct assuming quantization to 8-bits. Also, increasing iterative patches should be preferred over increasing multidimensional steps .

How do I know how much to raise them if say I want to use the full 9999 patches?

The maximum that the auto algorithm will use is 4 black/white, 41 single channel, 121 neutral, 0 multidimensional. The formula to calculate these is as follows:

auto = range(5, 19)  # Range between 5 and 18 depending on slider position
    single_channel = min(auto, 11) * 4 – 3
    neutral = single_channel * 3 – 2

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thank you!

Could you also tell me what ‘Pre Conditioning’ actually does.  (Is it a fine-tuning of the original profile?)

Is there a limit as to how many ‘reference photos’ I can input? … Does too many have any negative effects?

Could you please look at my latest Testchart Editor settings (attached) And let me know if the settings are appropriate… I left the settings as they appeared when I opened it and only increased the patches to 9999 and added about 15 image references… (The result was excellent coloring, (passed the ‘XXXL’ verification), but the contrast seems a little high.)

Thank you very much for your help. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Steve Smith.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Forgot to attach ‘gamma’ graph and ‘tone curve’ to determine if contrast is too high…

What do you think?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Steve Smith.
    Attachments:

Steve Smith
    Participant

…And the calibration curve… Attached.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could you also tell me what ‘Pre Conditioning’ actually does. (Is it a fine-tuning of the original profile?)

The preconditioning profile influences placement of the test points according to the device characteristics recorded in the profile. It is also used to determine neutral.

Is there a limit as to how many ‘reference photos’ I can input? …

The only limit is inferred by the amount of memory you have available (RAM + swap). Although the point of diminishing returns is usually reached at around 1500-2500 patches, maybe more if the device is very non-linear (like apparently so in your case).

Does too many have any negative effects?

Other than increased measurement and processing time, no (although too lengthy measurements can be problematic if the display and/or instrument are not stable over that period).

Could you please look at my latest Testchart Editor settings (attached) And let me know if the settings are appropriate

Looks fine to me. Note that if you actually want to use the preconditioning profile, you need to place a checkmark in the box.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Forgot to attach ‘gamma’ graph and ‘tone curve’ to determine if contrast is too high…

Looks fine by me (gamma 2.2)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS