How to check if the screen was properly calibrated

Home Forums Help and Support How to check if the screen was properly calibrated

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ladis Pejchar
    Participant

Hello, is there a way how to check if the screen was calibrated properly when displaycal calibration is finished?  I have calibrated my Dell U2715H to 6500K,  gamma 2.2. arround 2000 patches with xrite i1display pro. Photos seem to be warmer than when I preview them on my Ipad 2017 (ipad is uncalibrated). Result of Dell Calibration was 99.6% srgb.  A half year back I have calibrated my Acer Predator 27HUT gaming wide-gamut screen with display-cal + spyder5express and results were same on ipad 2017 and the monitor. So I am a bit confused if ipad colors are wrong or my dell. I am photographer, 99% of my work is for web, so i dont need precise calibration for print just for web. Thank you for your time.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Hello, is there a way how to check if the screen was calibrated properly when displaycal calibration is finished?

yes, create a measurement report on the “Verification” tab (default settings should be sufficient for a quick check).

Photos seem to be warmer than when I preview them on my Ipad 2017 (ipad is uncalibrated)

Uncalibrated and unprofiled devices cannot really be relied upon for accurate color.

A half year back I have calibrated my Acer Predator 27HUT gaming wide-gamut screen with display-cal + spyder5express and results were same on ipad 2017 and the monitor

Whitepoint differences are normal if not calibrating to the same whitepoint target on all devices – you can set a whitepoint target (i.e. 6500K daylight) if you want to match whitepoints across devices you’re going to calibrate (also see the FAQ).

betazoid
    Participant

Hi, I would try “as measured” for the white point.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi, I would try “as measured” for the white point.

If you do that, and you want to match several different display devices, you’ll have to do a visual match. I’d rather recommend using the visual whitepoint editor in this case.

betazoid
    Participant

But in order to use the visual white point editor I actually need to see both/all screens (that I want to match) at the same time, i.e. I need to attach boths screens to the same computer or place two computers with the two displays next to each other. And which display am I supposed to I adjust to which? The laptop to the external screen or the external screen to the laptop screen? I do see that the white looks different but I find this difficult… I can make the white look more similar on both screens but not exactly the same

So far I used either “as measured” or “6500 Kelvin”. With some screens, 6500 Kelvin produced a clearly visible color cast, usually something like brown or warm, with others “as measured” produced a color cast. But either of the two settings appeared to be ok.

I was able to “match” several displays so far. The results were surprizingly similar, at least for my eyes.

I suspect that TN panels prefer “6500K” whereas IPS panels like “as measured” better.

Anyway, I am confused now.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But in order to use the visual white point editor I actually need to see both/all screens (that I want to match) at the same time, i.e. I need to attach boths screens to the same computer or place two computers with the two displays next to each other.

If the two monitors are never in view at the same time, then whitepoint mismatch between them should be a non-issue.

So far I used either “as measured” or “6500 Kelvin”. With some screens, 6500 Kelvin produced a clearly visible color cast,

This “color cast” probably just means the screen’s native (or factory) temperature was very cool (blueish). Also, always make sure to use a matching correction for the backlighting technology.

with others “as measured” produced a color cast

“As measured” will simply not touch the whitepoint, so you’re free to adjust however way you like. You can of course try to hit a daylight equivalent of the current white.

betazoid
    Participant

Well, apparently there is no correction for my display/colorimeter in the online database and since I do not have a spectrometer I guess I have to live with “as measured”.

However, I think my screen has some options to set the white point and/or color temperature. So far I used the default/”Standard” settings of my screen. Maybe the “warm” will work better with 6500 Kelvin?

But actually I believe that my main screen does not need calibration at all. Apparently I get the least banding if I only do profiling.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by betazoid.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, apparently there is no correction for my display/colorimeter in the online database and since I do not have a spectrometer I guess I have to live with “as measured”.

The Dell U2715H has a white LED backlight, so you can use the respective generic spectral correction, same for the Acer. The iPad has seemingly an AMOLED panel, so using the generic OLED spectral correction may work.

But actually I believe that my main screen does not need calibration at all. Apparently I get the least banding if I only do profiling.

That is possible if the graphics driver doesn’t apply dithering. You still get the benefits of the profile in color managed applications.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Fixed typo

betazoid
    Participant

Everything is perfect! There is no need for colorimeter corrections.

My mistake was that I used the “standard” preset of my screen (there is also a preset called “game”, and another one that is called “text”; the is no way to adjust lightness/contrast/color if you use one of these presets, so you need to skip “interactive display adjustment”). However, apparently that is not good for image editing/photography. Today I did two quick calibrations. For the the first one, I switched off “standard”, set color temperature to “warm” and calibrated with displaycal to sRGB. Result: no color cast, everything perfectly neutral. For the second calibration, I set my screen to custom RGB, and then I did not skip “interactive display adjustment”. Result was also perfect. And it is also worth mentioning that my screen’s gamut is about 5% larger than if I use the “standard” preset (at the end of previous calibrations, Displaycal usually measured around 94.5 sRGB coverage, today it was 98% (Gamma 2.2) and 98.9% (sRGB). So, obviously, I only get the brownish color cast with the “standard” OSD setting which is too cool.

However, as far as my internal laptop screen is concerned, D6500 or sRGB still produce a brownish color cast. I think it is ok for me if I just use “as measured” for the white point in order to avoid the color cast. Of course, I hardly ever use the laptop screen for image editing. However, I am wondering whether it would be possible to do the “interactive display adjustment” with the help of the settings of my video card driver. I think the calibration does not overwrite those settings (or the other way round). I guess I should just try it out.

I mean, in the end, there is not much visible difference between my old and my new calibrations/settings. The only measurable but for me not really/yet visible difference is the gamut coverage.

I am not sure about the thread originator though. Did he manage to overcome the color cast? He appears to be very quiet.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However, I am wondering whether it would be possible to do the “interactive display adjustment” with the help of the settings of my video card driver.

Probably not.

I think the calibration does not overwrite those settings (or the other way round). I guess I should just try it out.

It probably will. Video driver settings usually change the same underlying video card gamma tables as calibration, so both cannot be used together.

betazoid
    Participant

Well, I think my laptop screen looks most similar to my external screen if I calibrate it to 7000 Kelvin.

However, if I go into the room where another PC is located with an older (calibrated) Samsung screen, and look at some test images, the Samsung seems greenish. Or is the laptop screen too warm? “Normal” photos with many different colors look very similar but if I look at pure white or pure grey (on both screens at the same time) there is a clearly visible difference. If I only look at one screen at a time, the grey looks neutral.

Is it possible that the Spyder 5 automatically adjusts the calibration to the color temperature of the ambient light? It is true that the light is different in the two rooms (one has windows to the west, one to the east, in addition the furniture has a different color, and the walls too, but there is no direct bright sunlight in either of the rooms). But I have not noticed visible differences between calibrations that were done at different times of the day (in the same room).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However, if I go into the room where another PC is located with an older (calibrated) Samsung screen, and look at some test images, the Samsung seems greenish.

You’re looking at the test images in a color management capable (and correctly working) application?

pure white or pure grey (on both screens at the same time) there is a clearly visible difference

That’s relatively common, and can be alleviated with the visual whitepoint editor.

Is it possible that the Spyder 5 automatically adjusts the calibration to the color temperature of the ambient light?

The Spyder software does have this capability (which I consider a gimmick), but DisplayCAL doesn’t.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS