How to Cheak Calibration Integrity

Home Forums Help and Support How to Cheak Calibration Integrity

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Elias Nemer
    Participant

Hello,

So im currently trying to calibrate my Benq SW271 Monitor, Im pluged in to the GPU, im using I1 display pro plus.

first some issues that im having. when i put the Calibration tone curve to Rec 709. with black output offset at 0, ambient light off and black point correction to 0%, i get kind of washed out color, when i change to Bt. 1886 Gamma 2.4 Absolute i get better results. but i still want to fine tune more. anyone one know why on rec 709 this is happening? i want to calibrate for rec 709. also level at at full, cromacity coordinates, lowest possible blacklevel, to 100 Nits. Observer CIE 1931 2

this is my first question, my next question is how do i test the integrity of the calibration, is there some sort of reference idea, or something. i have a Dolby PRM 4220 monitor at work, calibrated by Dolby (A while ago but still looks awsome, with excellent results), i cheak the SMPTE chart on  resolve (Attached) with that monitor and i try to use that as my true ref.

The 2 black bars at the bottom where it is all black and there is one at like 1/8 of 0-128 and another at like 1/3 of 0-128  (on the scopes), on the monitor at work the lower lumance black bar is barely visible, but on the benq it is more pronounced, and then the 1/3 bar you can see with ease.

Am i being too picky about this? also is there away to cheak within the calibration system? also  is when i cheak the profile information after calibration the EDID_Gamma is 2.2 what does this mean?

Thank you for your time and help in advance

Sincerely,

Elias Nemer

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You should never set calibration curve to Rec709… it ios not what it means and i would also say that DisplayCAL warned about it.
    Also with such low quality low contrast display its not useful to aim to Rec1886 due to the bending of the gamma curve given the high black level (IPS)

So aim for sRGB/Rec709 colorspace and 2.4 gamma for video use.
    You can do it using PME’s HW calibratyioon software (which does not use proper colorimeter corrections for any of the Benq SW line) or you can do it with a softare LUT3D (like the one for Resolve)
    For this 2nd one (software LUT3D) usually you aim for native gamut in display, then let LUT3D clip to Rec709 but since Benq SW line is so band, including porrly designed OSD, in most of them there is no native gamut setting so you are forced to use factory sRGB/Rec709 mode or at best P3 modeand then make a LUT3D to clip to Rec709). A wise previpus step would be measuring primaries in factory simulation of P3 and sRGB/Rec709…. if they are in place you can set OSD mode to Rec709 and use LUT3D for grey & minior 3D volumen corrections within bagumt boundaries.

Vincent
    Participant

For verification run Measurement report.
    Simulate colrospce + use simulation profile as display profile wipes GPU calibration, leaving only LUT3D or HW or factory calibration.
    Use these options off to test if an ICC profile matches its display.
    Use device link to simulate LUT3D, if your 3rd party software like Resolve it’s loading a LUT3D on its own NEVER use a device link on measurement reprot otherwise LUT3D will be applies twice. This option shoudl be used when target window has no LU3D or color management.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS