How to calibrate/profile a projector with a Spyder5

Home Forums Help and Support How to calibrate/profile a projector with a Spyder5

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

betazoid
    Participant

Hi,

in a few weeks I will have to give a presentation with a projector. It will more or less be a workflow presentation on image editing. Now I have never calibrated a projector before. I am in touch with the people who are organizing the event but so far I have not been able to find out the exact brand and model of the projector. I only know that its resolution is probably fulldh. Anyway, I am planning to calibrate it on location, i.e. shortly before my presentation, probably with my Spyder5, if the organizers do not have a calibration device. What things should I pay attention at when calibrating a projector? Which settings should I use? Should I calibrate and profile it or only profile it? Should I use the interactive calibration help? I have already been googling around for calibrating projectors but I have not been able to find much useful information about this. Pretty much the only useful thing that I found it is that I need to mount the Spyder on a tripod and point the sensor to the projection plane on the wall while the distance between the device and the projection plane is 30cm. And the room needs to be completely dark. And of course, the projector needs to warm up before calibration for at least 15 minutes. Is that all that needs to be kept in mind?
    I was figuring that ideally, the calibration of the beamer will actually be part of the presentation, unless it takes too long time. Is it a good idea to only profile the projector using the standard or extended test chart (but not larger than extended)?

Thanks in advance for the help

b

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the Spyder5 really isn’t the best device for projector measurements since it is so slow and doesn’t have good low light capability, so doing this will probably require a lot of patience.

What things should I pay attention at when calibrating a projector?

Use white level drift compensation in DisplayCAL. You could also try the projector family spectral correction.

Should I calibrate and profile it or only profile it?

Depends what your goal is. Does the software that you use for your presentation support color management? Then a profile only approach will save you time.

betazoid
    Participant

Ok. Thanks.

Is there any special setting in Displaycal for calibrating beamers? Like in the Spyder software the first question “do you want to calibrate a laptop, a desktop or a projector”? How will the program know that the shadow that the device produces on the projection plane is the Spyder’s shadow?

Where can I find the “projector family spectral correction?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Like in the Spyder software the first question “do you want to calibrate a laptop, a desktop or a projector”?

All that does is show some additional help text how to place the Spyder.

How will the program know that the shadow that the device produces on the projection plane is the Spyder’s shadow?

It doesn’t (need to).

Where can I find the “projector family spectral correction?

Under “correction”.

betazoid
    Participant

Thanks. One more question: Which “mode” should I choose (LCD generic, White LED etc.)?

Btw: Under “correction” I only find “auto” and “none”.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by betazoid.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by betazoid.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Btw: Under “correction” I only find “auto” and “none”.

Then you need menu “Tools” -> “Correction” -> “Import from other software” -> “Auto”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS