How to calibrate Eizo CX271 for DavinciResolve?

Home Forums Help and Support How to calibrate Eizo CX271 for DavinciResolve?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

RetroPixel
    Participant

Hi, maybe you can point me in the right direction! I have the following setup and i am not sure how to accurately calibrate my external display. I use an Eizo CX271 (which should cover rec709 withe ease) until right now the screen is connected directly to the graphics card. So far i always thought it would be a great idea to use it´s hardware calibration capabilities (directly calibrate the screen, not the graphics card output) and calibrate it to rec709 with the ColorNavigator software. But the more i read, the more people say not to use CN cause it produces inaccuracy. What would be the right way for me to calibrate that screen for colour-grading? I have a second screen (just for sharpness reference, and cutting since colours are bäää). At the moment the screen is connected directly to the Graphics card (1080 Ti).

Should i do a Base calibration (full gamut) using CN and then do another calibration using DpCal for Resolve or is that just chaotic?
    Also what kind of LCD and so on is the CX271?
    This whole colour calibration thing looks like science to me and i am a bit confused now haha.

Additional things i own but not really use are: Intensity Pro 4K (would it be better to feed the signal to monitor through this thing?)

Here my complete setup:

Screen 1: Eizo CX271 (the one i want to use for grading), connected via display port.
    Screen 2:  Samsung U28E590D also connected via display port.
    System: Win10
    Graphics Card: 1080 Ti
    Audio interface: Audient ID14

Intensity Pro 4K, not in use yet.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by RetroPixel.

Vincent
    Participant

Easy & multipurpose-ready setup is:

-calibrate yoru displays native at gamut and your desired whitepoint + white level using HW cal or OSD menus (samsung).
    If one of them does not match white of the other, use the best one as reference and using menu visual tweak white until they match. Please annotate if you needed a visual tweak for one of your displays.

-use DisplayCAL to profile display in a huge XYZLUT profile with lot of patches so it can map actual displays response. Then make Resolve LUT3D. This hsould be in soem DIsplayCAL’s Resolve FAQ.
    IF you needed a visual match on one of your displays, make sure you DO NOT use absolute colorimetric intent when making LUT3D, otherwise you’ll loose it, choose relative colorimetric so LUT3D will store no whitepoint correction.
    It may happen that your reference display gets white “corrected” by LUT3D so you end with a mismatch, if that happens you can use the new LUT3D corrected white as reference and repeat the process with the lesser display, or just remake the LUT3D for the reference display in relative colorimetric.

This way you can make several LUT3D that can be software switched one to another with the same HW cal or menu settings. That is one of the reasons for choosing native gamut in your displays.

RetroPixel
    Participant

hi Vincent, thanks for your answer!

can you point me to a tutorial or description on how to make XYZLUT? i don´t even know what type of panel my display is. it was advertized as wide gamut.

RetroPixel
    Participant

I am getting the following error:

New_disprd failed with “instrument access failed”

Vincent
    Participant

I am getting the following error:

New_disprd failed with “instrument access failed”

IDNK which measurement device you have (and you need one).

Your display should use a GB-LED backlight give its age and that is is a widgemaut LED (like a Dell U2413).

There should be a FAQ in displaycal main page, but as a fast list:
    -calibrate to native gamut, D65 white and whatever while level you want with Color navigator
    -DisplayCAL, select appropiate correction if using a colorimeter, calibration tab all to native/as measured, profile tab XYZ, no BPC, huge patch set (you may need to select resolve output in 1st tab, but should work even in desktop mode)
    -Button bellow should change name to profile only, click, let it measure
    -Save or remember where is saved resulting profile
    -Open LUT3D creator, your new display profile is destination profile, source profile is content colorspace (rec709 g2.4 as an example), select resolve compatible format (.cube). Make it.
    -Asociate LUT3D to Resolve in Resolve config

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

Re do “Open LUT3D creator” & “Asociate LUT3D” parts for every LUT3D (for every source colorspace) you need.

RetroPixel
    Participant

solved the error. i just needed to restart pc. i am usin an i1 Display pro.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

RetroPixel
    Participant

Ok, so i tried to follow the steps, but the Eizo always look off, the colors simply seem to be wrong.  I remember how the scenery looked and also did a good WB on my camera but after color correction (using the ColorChecker in Davinci) the colors on the Eizo just look …. annoying.  The sky is not sky blue but oversaturated teal and so on.  Maybe i am doing something wrong?

One problem i came along during calibration is the following.

When i first calibrate my Eizos White point using the ColorNavigator (full Gamut) and then start to calibrate for REC709 , at the screen where DispCAL checks the colors (the screen with the three color bars where you have to make sure they all line up)  they are all but not lining up. So i have to go to the Eizo, and change the gain of the color channels. But this at the same time also changes my white point again. So should i just ignore the bars and continue? or am i doing something wrong in general?  I definitely can not grade using the Eizo at the moment.

Vincent
    Participant

Ok, so i tried to follow the steps, but the Eizo always look off, the colors simply seem to be wrong.  I remember how the scenery looked and also did a good WB on my camera but after color correction (using the ColorChecker in Davinci) the colors on the Eizo just look …. annoying.  The sky is not sky blue but oversaturated teal and so on.  Maybe i am doing something wrong?

This is your fault. Software LUT3D in Davinci is missing, your seeing RGB to RGB , 1 to 1, data sent to monitor. Make a LUT3D and configure it in Resolve. It’s explanied in displaycal FAQ (two slot need to be configured).

One problem i came along during calibration is the following.

When i first calibrate my Eizos White point using the ColorNavigator (full Gamut) and then start to calibrate for REC709 , at the screen where DispCAL checks the colors (the screen with the three color bars where you have to make sure they all line up)  they are all but not lining up. So i have to go to the Eizo, and change the gain of the color channels. But this at the same time also changes my white point again. So should i just ignore the bars and continue? or am i doing something wrong in general?  I definitely can not grade using the Eizo at the moment.

Either your are not using the proper correction or choosing a different one than CN. If you like Eizo’s just set whitepoint target to native in displaycal, then rel. colorimetric in LUT3D making. If you like DIsplayCAL’s you can let software LUT3D correct it for you or maula tweak “visual white point” in CN untill it matches with DisplayCAL colorimeter correction… assuming that you choose the proper one.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.

RetroPixel
    Participant

Ok i really followed all the steps i list what i did below.

Eizo:
    – Calibrating White Point to D65 with CN
    – Starting Resolve and DisplayCAL
    – Choosing the Resolve Preset (starting resolve, choosing spectral Calman and so on…)
    – Changing White point target to native, and in LUT 3D rel. colorimetric
    – Choose a big patch set, profile XYZ, and no BPC
    – let the calibration run (ignoring the RGB measuring since i already calibrated to D65
    – After everything finished (app. 2 hours)  i saved the lut (.CUBE) to DaVinci lut folder.
    – Put the newly created LUT into the “3D Video Monitor Lookup slot”

The second monitor was calibrated only with DisplayCAL also using the Davinci Preset but without the additional changes since it does not support hardware calibration. The Samsung is my MAinscreen with the small picture on it, for cutting and so on. so i loaded the LUT for the samsung to the “3D Color Viewer …”.

applied the settings and….. The same weird thing as before.
    Again the 2300€ Eizo looks super arghhhhhh
    vs the cheap Samsung looks somewhat OKish.

I attach a picture.

Did i still miss something?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

RetroPixel
    Participant

here are all my settings. see attachments

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

As I said before you need to attach your LUT3D to resolve in Resolve’s config. Read the FAQ, go to Resolve UI and attach your new LUT3D to 2 slot for viewer & such.
    You just created it and put in a flder so Resolve can see it… but you have not asigned it.

Read the FAQ.

RetroPixel
    Participant

you might missed that ( due to my bad English skills)  in my above text but i wrote  that this is exactly what i did. I would not further ask if it was that easy.

Attachments:

RetroPixel
    Participant

could it be possible, that i have to reset the video card gamma table when using it in resolve since the Samsung screen is not HW calibrated but software calibrated only? just a guess of mine.

Vincent
    Participant

you might missed that ( due to my bad English skills)  in my above text but i wrote  that this is exactly what i did. I would not further ask if it was that easy.

That configuration seems OK if the ouputs are refered to correct displays.

could it be possible, that i have to reset the video card gamma table when using it in resolve since the Samsung screen is not HW calibrated but software calibrated only? just a guess of mine.

Not at all. VCGT is related to grey, not gamut.

Try to make LUT3D manually from LUT3D creator application, then verify each one individually. Maybe target colorspace for each one was set wrong.
    You can verify with profile link & DisplayCAL (equivalent to LUT3D, it’s generated at the same time) or with Lightspace Zero & .cube file which is free (and use the same correction).

Also Rec1886 is useless on a typical IPS Screen because of low contrast. Just use g2.4.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS