How ICC profile is associated to a specific monitor

Home Forums General Discussion How ICC profile is associated to a specific monitor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nicola Farina
    Participant

Hi there,

another newbie question.

I have 4 identical display set as pair of 2 (1 set at home, 1 set at work).

If I profile my 2 displays at home, when I move my laptop to work, DisplayCAL Profile Launcher activates the same profiles, because, I suppose, displays model are the same. Is there a way to bind a profile to a specific display (like serial number f.e.)?

Thank you very much.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

DisplayCAL Profile Launcher activates the same profiles, because, I suppose, displays model are the same

This is one of the shortcomings of the Windows color management settings for monitors, it doesn’t really differentiate assigned profiles per monitor but per output. If you monitor’s EDID has some differentiating information (e.g. serial number as you mentioned), I might be able to work around this Windows limitation in a future version.

Nicola Farina
    Participant

It would be a great feature! Actually, I have to avoid profiles because of this.

I’ve calibrated (not profiled) this four displays (brightness and RGB sliders) but non generated the profiles. Is this generally a better solution then using builtin monitor presets (“standard”, “video”, “games”, etc.)?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It would be a great feature! Actually, I have to avoid profiles because of this.

If implementing a workaround is possible depends on your monitors, they need to expose some differentiating information. You can check this by creating a profile from EDID for each of them (in DisplayCAL’s file menu), then checking the profile information. The lines beginning with “EDID_” in the right pane show what information is available. Unfortunately, some manufacturers don’t fill the serial, so this might not work.

I’ve calibrated (not profiled) this four displays (brightness and RGB sliders) but non generated the profiles. Is this generally a better solution then using builtin monitor presets (“standard”, “video”, “games”, etc.)?

Yes.

Nicola Farina
    Participant

Yes.

In this case, how you suggest to set “whitepoint”, “white level” and “tone curve” in “Calibration” tab? All at “As measured”?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

All “as measured” except whitepoint, as you are going to skip 1D LUT calibration anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS