How do I just measure a monitor without any profiling?

Home Forums General Discussion How do I just measure a monitor without any profiling?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kazaakas
    Participant

I have a new monitor that I will be using with a number of applications that are NOT color aware. I therefore want to measure the monitor with DisplayCAL, make adjustments to the monitor’s advanced settings, measure again, rinse and repeat, and then decide if I want to keep it, sorta thing.

How do I do this with DisplayCAL? I appreciate that it starts with the manual white point adjustment through the monitor settings, but I’m also looking to get a list of ∆E values for a range of different color intensities. How can I do this?

Vincent
    Participant

Don’t do it that way.

Go to custom/user mode in your monitor, calibrate & profile with DIsplaycall at native gamut, get a profile.
    Then use Ledoge’s DMWLUT to simulate other colorspaces. There is a thread here, read it.

kazaakas
    Participant

Don’t do it that way.

Go to custom/user mode in your monitor, calibrate & profile with DIsplaycall at native gamut, get a profile.
    Then use Ledoge’s DMWLUT to simulate other colorspaces. There is a thread here, read it.

I am just looking to measure the monitor and get a list of ∆E values for a range of colors within sRGB, without any profiling.

Vincent
    Participant

I meant: do not use your monitor that way. Use DWMLUT for non color managed apps (or color managed too but knowing what you are doing, read the thread)

Regarding “no profile no calibration” measurement, your question, just select on verification tab “use simulation profile” to whatever you want to compare and “use simulation profile as display profile”. That way it will test is display matches simulation profile without displaycal grey calibration.

kazaakas
    Participant

I meant: do not use your monitor that way. Use DWMLUT for non color managed apps (or color managed too but knowing what you are doing, read the thread)

Thanks, I’ll give the DWMLUT stuff a read, but since different monitors are connected to different laptops quite frequently around here, I want to first see how far I can get just by tweaking the monitor OSD.

Regarding “no profile no calibration” measurement, your question, just select on verification tab “use simulation profile” to whatever you want to compare and “use simulation profile as display profile”. That way it will test is display matches simulation profile without displaycal grey calibration.

Thanks!! Strangely, when I go the Verification tab and check both “Simulation profile” and “Use simulation profile as display profile” (or any other settings for that matter), the button to start the measurement report stays greyed out. Any idea why?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS