Higher gamma at lower IRE’s – Custom Gamma

Home Forums Help and Support Higher gamma at lower IRE’s – Custom Gamma

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dushyant Patel
    Participant

Does anyone have an idea on how I can replicate the tone curve / gamma from my C9 onto my C6?

To my surprise after running a 3D LUT on my C9 I actually prefer the default gamma that crushes a little near black. It hides so many nasty artifacts. My C6 massively suffers from that problem – a 3D LUT dramatically improved things as did debanding and on really bad content (GoT!) I use brightness at 48 but I’d prefer to also use the C9’s approach. It’s been a remarkable improvement for me.

I see there’s an option for custom but all I really want to do is at very low levels crush the black / create higher gamma. Any advice?

I’ve checked the documentation – I understand I can change the shape of the gamma curve but I’m not sure how to impact only the lower IREs.

Thanks 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

On the 3D LUT tab, set gamma type to relative and output offset to 100%.

Dushyant Patel
    Participant

Thanks 🙂

Dushyant Patel
    Participant

So I tried this but I’m still getting the same results. Is there anyway to bypass gamma  and greyscale calibration and only do colour?

Dushyant Patel
    Participant

What I’m trying to achieve is similar to this thread: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/is-it-possible-to-make-a-custom-gamma-curve/

But rather than having a lower gamma at low IRE’s I want higher. i.e. 2.6.2.8

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That’s not possible without creating files by hand. I.e. calculate the XYZ for the desired response (grayscale + primaries will suffice), manually create a measurement (.ti3) file in a text editor, and use that to create a profile to be used as input profile for the standalone 3D LUT maker.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS