Higher Black Level LG27UL650

Home Forums Help and Support Higher Black Level LG27UL650

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michele Maruca
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m a user of DisplayCAL since 2016, using it with a Spyder5 with no problems at all, until now. Unfortunately, my Mojave (10.14.6) profile just skews the black levels, showing up jagged colors on the darker parts. My configuration of DisplayCAL is D65 at 120cd, with a White-LED modifier, single Curve for MacOS and XYZLUT on Windows partition. On the latter, there’s no problem at all, instead of MacOS that skews black levels even in an independent program like photoshop (with sRGB internal profiling). The Black Levels test is executed on lagom.nl, showing a sensible brighter black.

I also noticed that this problem began on Mojave, as on High Sierra there wasn’t whatsoever.

Is anyone aware of this problem and knows how to solve it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The Black Levels test is executed on lagom.nl, showing a sensible brighter black.

Note that you cannot view these images correctly in Safari. You have to download them and open in a color managed viewer (my recommendation would be ColorSync Utility or Photoshop), assigning the sRGB profile if asked.

Michele Maruca
    Participant

Hi Florian! Thanks for the reply! I used photoshop to check if it was just a problem with the browser, but I fear that is systemwide… When I use the standard sRGB profile in macOS and set Photoshop to the calibrated one, no problem at all. As soon as I use on macOS the same calibrated profile that I used on Photoshop, the blacks get brighter on the desktop, on the browser, even on photoshop itself. I think that Mojave doesn’t read so well ICC profiles, because with High Sierra and Catalina I’ve got no problem. Sadly I can’t use Catalina for now as the system stability is not optimal and I can’t turn back to High Sierra due to a CPU change that isn’t supported on it.

To sum up:

Calibrated Profile on macOS + Calibrated on Photoshop = Brighter blacks systemwide, showing clearly artifacts

Default Profile on macOS + Calibrated on Photoshop = No problem at all (better colors like I’m used to on Windows)

In the Attachments, you can see an emulation of what I see when the blacks get brighter in my wallpaper, do notice that even the Photoshop UI and every “dark” element gets brighter as well. The same image loaded as wallpaper in Windows has no problem.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

On macOS, the whole desktop is colormanaged. Without an actual measurement-based profile, macOS will use an effective “null” transform with regards to lightness, so it will not be correct. Only with an actual measurement-based profile will you have correct tonality. The desktop image in Windows is too dark due to no color management.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS