High delta E, Profile Switching during Measurement?

Home Forums Help and Support High delta E, Profile Switching during Measurement?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

DispCalUser
    Participant

Hi,

I’m currently trying to to calibrate and profile an Monitor (NEC EA221WM, I know not a good monitor for ColorManagement) using a Spider 5 pro and DisplayCal (latest version) under Linux Mint (18.3, Kernel 4.15). Aim is 6500K @ 100 cd/m² , Gamma 2.2. The calibration and profilation works as far as I can see, but when I’m going to measure the correctness of the profile I’m getting very high deltaE’s (avg > 13), so it looks like something is going wrong. I can see, that during the beginning of the measurement for the verification process, the display is loosing it’s calibration profile (it’s visually getting much more blueish) could this be the problem or is this intended? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by DispCalUser.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

when I’m going to measure the correctness of the profile I’m getting very high deltaE’s (avg > 13)

What type of verification have you run? It is normal for colors that are out-of-gamut for your display to have a high delta E. Attach the measurement report HTML file please.

I can see, that during the beginning of the measurement for the verification process, the display is loosing it’s calibration profile (it’s visually getting much more blueish) could this be the problem or is this intended? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

That is just the calibration being applied (which is a must if the profile is used).

DispCalUser
    Participant

Attached you’ll find the HTML report. I’m running BT.2020 Color profile test. I’m not sure if the change is really the applied calibration, because it looks like more it is switching back to uncalibrated mode. Usually the profile is active using the gnome-color-manager, and after creation of the profile I can see the calibration preview that looks exactly like before I start the measurement. When the measurement is started it’s as I already said, much too blueish for 6500K and it looks like uncalibrated which might explain the high deltaE’s?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

DispCalUser
    Participant

Just retried it, using the sRGB simulation profile which gives me an average deltaE of 3.3 (html report attached). Tends to be also high since the coverage of the screen is more than sRGB space so this shouldn’t be so high or am I wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You’re checking your display’s native response against the selected simulation profile. This is generally not what you want. Disable “Use simulation profile as display profile” on the verification tab.

DispCalUser
    Participant

Ahhhh… My mistake, I apologize, should have seen this checkbox! But what’s actually the sense of testing native response, would the main task not always be the check of the profiled Display?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But what’s actually the sense of testing native response, would the main task not always be the check of the profiled Display?

When the display is adjusted or calibrated via external means outside of the application centric ICC color management approach, e.g. via adjusting the display itself (only), or via a 3D LUT, or if you want to check how far the native response is from any desired target (although that’s less useful in a color managed environment).

DispCalUser
    Participant

Okay, I see the point. Thanks for your detailed explanations 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS