Help with First time Setup

Home Forums Help and Support Help with First time Setup

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Julian Blau
    Participant

Hey there DisplayCal Forums!

Im have been grading and playing around with Davinci for years now, and mostly I have been grading with a monitor that I eyeballed to look close to the 709 norm. But I recently picked up a side job, and decided to expand my setup a little. To clarify im still rather budget locked and don’t have the money for a nice reference monitor yet. My goal is to have something that is accurate enough to not be completely on another planet if that makes sense. This is my basic setup for now:

_________
    MacOS 11.6 – MacBook Pro (15″ i9, 16 GB, Clamshell mode)
    eGPU – BlackMagic Vega 56 (Got it pretty cheap some time ago on eBay)
    Samsung 25″ for UI
    Dell U2520D monitor, hopefully for reference use. (I’m using the Custom Color mode which lets you adjust RGB values independently to reach a good white balance in DisplayCal) It is connected via HDMI (Input color format is YPbPr, if that’s important, RGB mode is available if I don’t use the eGPU).
    Spider 5 Pro, for calibrating.

Project delivery is in HD / Rec.709 / Gamma 2.4 / 25p
    ________

Now what I have done is use DisplayCAL to create a .icc profile for the Dell monitor. Calibrated to Rec.709 with the Single Curve + Matrix profile type. Se picture below (I’ll do a longer calibration once I got the correct workflow).
    It looks quite good from what I can see so far! (The idea is also to use my monitor calibrated for daily use, so i get used to Rec.709). But now i’m not sure how that translates to DaVinci Resolve. Can I trust the clean out to my Dell. Or is there more to it? Should I simply use the “Use Mac display color profiles for viewers” (it looks pretty good, better than without) setting inside resolve and would that display it correctly with my system wide 709 calibration?

Alternatively I though about making a 3D Lut within Resolve with DisplayCal, but it looks like it disables the sytem wide .icc on my Dell before making measurements, so I guess I should just disable my general .icc calibration every time before I start working in Resolve? Or am I getting it wrong?

Lastly if its more or less hopeless ???? I was wondering if the Blackmagic UltraStudio 3G would remove the confusion, I’m happy to get in one if it makes it all easier.

Hope this makes sense! I’m happy to give more detail!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Julian Blau. Reason: Just some clarification
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Spyder is not accurate. After sleecting the “closest” (but not accurate) colorimeter measuremt mode, match visually white with some reference you trust. You can do nothing more with a spyder. Try to get an i1d3.
    Then if you make LUT3D, since you matched white visually do not use abs colorimetric intents, always relative whitepoint or you’ll loose you visually matched white.

NEVER use ambient light, it is not what you think it is. Totally useless on a color managed desktop. Whataver  calibration TRC adaptation this ambient light applies, it will be undone by actual after calibration TRC measured to make the profile.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Julian Blau
    Participant

What do you mean with: “closest” (but not accurate) colorimeter measuremt mode”? ???? where  is that?

Vincent
    Participant

upper right corner, 1st tab. For each display you’ll have to select suitable mode.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS