Help with calibration settings

Home Forums General Discussion Help with calibration settings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nick2828
    Participant

So I have a samsung Q9FN and colorimeter ColorMunki Display, I calibrated the SDR mode fine, but when i try to calibrate the HDR mode ( just with the interactive display adjustment :white point and black point) i always get strange results.for example color readings are always jumping up and down a bit and even using Warm2, its saying i have too much blue, and its nearly imposible to bring red green and blue in line, especialy the black point.Maybe im missing a setting or something?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Nick2828.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Nick2828.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You cannot change display HDR behavior. It doe snot work as you may think.

In SDR gpu sends raw RGB numbers to display, inside display there is whitepoint & basic CMS gamut correction an to panel. You measure resulting display behavior and make a profile. (for just calibrating it’s easier to use HCFR instead of displaycal)

On HDR gpu sends data encoded in some variant of Rec2020 colorspace with PQ10. Inside display it gets translated to display panel capabilities, and then you measure back the results. Since you cannot edit that translation from HDR content to panel capabilities (unless some vendor propietary SDK) you cannot change significatively HDR behavior. It is usually as bad (or good) as it is out of the box.
    Tweaking OSD on HDR mode for one parameter may result in deforming all the translation making things worse for other colors.

Nick2828
    Participant

so its better to put on warm 2 and leave white balance at default?

Vincent
    Participant

Measure and choose the best one. I do not have access to your TV measurement data. This kind of stuff is easier/faster with HCFR.

Nick2828
    Participant

thank you very much

Jaylumx
    Participant

It seem like with the latest version of MadVR (134) applies the 3DLUT to HDR when you tonemap HDR using pixel shaders.  I compared it with the passthrough version and there is a change.  It looks really good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS